Dangerous chargers seized by Havering Council
PUBLISHED: 17:31 10 January 2012
Potentially dangerous chargers sold with electronic cigarettes have been taken off the streets by Havering Council’s Trading Standards team.
After a tip off, a cigarette kit was purchased from an Upminster-based internet shop, and testing showed it had inadequate insulation and incorrectly sized pins.
The charger posed a risk of electric shock and overheating, according to a statement released by the council this week.
Council officers visited the business and seized all remaining stock.
Further chargers were also found to have similar defects.
As a result of the investigation UK ELiquid issued a full product recall for the three pin wall plug 510 starter kit and EGO kit and E-Power 18650 – E-Power 14650
A total of 186 items were seized and destroyed.
UK ELiquid was formally cautioned for the offence, alerted customers who purchased the products and provided refunds.
Cllr Lesley Kelly, cabinet member for housing and public protection, said: “Members of the public would be fooled into thinking the items were safe as they bore the CE mark on the packaging. In this case the prompt action by Havering Council’s Trading Standards stopped the sale of dangerous products to consumers.”
If you have concerns about unsafe items please contact Havering Council’s Trading Standards on: 01708 434343.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.