'Helping residents get back to our town centres safely'
Damian White, leader, Havering Council
- Credit: Ellie Hoskins
As we move, cautiously, along the government’s roadmap – the council will continue to do our bit.
Last month we began to see our brilliant town centres spring back to life. We saw many non-essential shops and services such as hairdressers, retail and beauty salons, plus outdoor hospitality venues, reopen after months with the shutters down.
We are carrying out hundreds of patrols and face-to-face visits offering Covid-secure advice to businesses across the borough.
Fifty Covid marshals have joined our public protection officers, working closely with police, to enforce any flouting of the rules. This comes alongside the Havering Business Innovation Grant to help small businesses get back on their feet.
In addition, free parking for four weeks in our car parks and on-street bays is providing a boost to local businesses and helping residents get back to our town centres safely.
You may also want to watch:
At our annual council meeting last month - I was delighted to see Cllr John Mylod re-elected as mayor of Havering for a second term. His first term was cut short due to the pandemic.
Serving another year will help his chosen charities benefit from more of his brilliant work.
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 5 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 6 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 7 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 8 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 9 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer
This looks set to be a brighter year for Havering. The vaccine programme is progressing at pace.
Everyone over 50 has now been offered a jab with Havering having one of the best records for vaccine take-up in London. We are on the path to recovery but let’s all remain sensible and take these next steps safely.