Daggers unlocked by Kee as McCrory helps Burton to victory
npower League Two: Burton Albion 3 Dagenham & Redbridge 2
Billy Kee’s fantastic 79th minute goal ensured Daggers lost for only the second time in 11 league matches as Burton took all three points at the Pirelli Stadium.
Dwight Gayle had tapped in after Michael Spillane missed a 28th minute penalty to give them the half time lead.
But Damien McCrory, who was released by the Daggers at the end of the season, levelled for the Brewers with a deflected effort.
And the visitors committed suicide two minutes later when Matt Paterson capitalised on a poor back header from Wilkinson before a goal for either side in two minutes from Sam Williams and Kee brought to an end a frenetic tie.
You may also want to watch:
Still opted for the same side that won 5-0 at home to Rotherham but they had to survive early pressure.
A poor back header from Femi Ilesanmi let in Kee but his headed effort struck the left hand post and that started a period of siege on the visitors goal.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 3 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 8 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 9 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 10 Heritage: Romford's key role in the English Civil War
Only moments later, Lewington was forced into a fine double save as he firstly denied Kee and the rebound fell to Calvin Zola but the Daggers keeper was equal to his shot.
Dagenham had ridden the storm and managed to take the lead when Jake Reed was brought down by home goalkeeper Dean Lyness and referee Trevor Kettle pointed to the spot.
But Spillane missed his second spot kick in succession as Lyness got down to his left to save, though Gayle tapped home the rebound for his seventh of the season.
After a slow first five minutes to the second period, Burton were able to draw level through McCrory after 51 minutes when he came inside from the left wing and shot, with the aid of a deflection off Scott Doe, looped over Lewington.
And things got even worse just two minutes later when a ball over the top was headed weakly back by Wilkinson and Paterson nipped in to score.
Still’s side had recovered from that and duly levelled after 78 minutes when substitute Williams received the ball on the edge of the area and shot superbly into the top corner past Lyness.
But they always say you are most susceptible to conceding after scoring and Daggers proved that within a minute when Kee chested down and volleyed past Lewington superbly to give the hosts all three points.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ogogo, Doe, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Spillane, Howell, Saunders (Bingham 64), Elito, Gayle, Reed (Williams 70)
Substitutes not used: Maher, Hoyte, Caprice, Woodall, Seabright.