Daggers’ run ends after Yoann Arquin scores Hereford’s winner
Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Hereford 1
Lacklustre Daggers suffered their first defeat in seven games against fellow strugglers Hereford United to move precariously close to the relegation zone.
In a game of little goalmouth action, Yoann Arquin’s first-half header was enough to earn The Bulls a vital three points as Daggers suffered from a distinct lack of creativity.
In a flat first half, Michael Spillane went closest for the home side on 25 minutes, but his floated free-kick from 25 yards was easily caught by keeper Adam Bartlett.
Hereford had shown little attacking intent, but made the most of a rare opportunity on 39 minutes to take the lead.
You may also want to watch:
From Joe Colbeck’s driven corner, Arquin lost marker Jon Nurse and headed past Chris Lewington from inside the six yard box.
Before the interval there was time for Daggers best moments of the match. First, Hereford keeper Bartlett denied Cristian Montano from close range.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Havering Hospitality Hero: Hornchurch's Tandoori Lounge racks up awards
Then Nurse headed harmlessly wide from eight yards, after good work on the right from Dominic Green.
The second period was competitive, but lacked quality as Hereford battled to hold onto their lead.
Delroy Facey almost sealed the points on 79 minutes, but his long-range shot was well held by Lewington and substitute Tom Barkizen dragged a low shot wide.
The home side came closest to an equaliser when Eoin Wearen glanced Abu Ogogo’s cross wide in the dying moments.
But John Still’s off-colour side lost for the first time in more than a month and slipped to third from bottom of League Two.
Daggers: Lewington, Ogogo, Spillane, Doe, Ilesanmi, Abdulla, Bingham (Wearen 80), Nurse (Reed 71), Green, Montano, Woodall. Unused subs: Hogan, Rose, Arber.
Hereford: Bartlett, Purdie, Townsend, Stam, Clist (Clucas 45), Colbeck (Barkizen 70), Pell, Evans, Featherstone, Arquin, Facey. Unused subs: Cornell, Lunt, Elder.
Attendance: 1,732 (including 187 away supporters).