Daggers news boy Ifil: I haven’t come here to be a reserve
NEW signing Phil Ifil says he has not come to Dagenham & Redbridge to be a reserve and will be pushing Abu Ogogo for a first team place.
The former Tottenham Hotspur trainee (pictured above) inked a deal at Victoria Road on Friday, following his release from Colchester United at the end of last season.
He was thrown straight into action less than 24 hours later, which came as a surprise to both he and the kit man, who did not have time to prepare a shirt with his name on the back in time for the game.
“I’d been training with the lads for the last two weeks and played a couple of reserve games,” he said.
“Obviously the right back got injured last week and I was so happy to sign this week and get an opportunity to play.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been difficult. I didn’t have a great pre-season, but I’m trying my best to get back to where I should and playing will help that.
“It’s new for me, being in a new group and I’m just going to play my normal game and adapt it to how the manager wants me to play.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 4 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 5 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 6 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 7 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 8 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 9 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years
“I enjoyed it, although obviously the scoreline wasn’t what we wanted.”
The 23-year-old, who has signed a one-year deal with the club, should keep his place for Saturday’s visit of Bristol Rovers and has no intentions of giving up the spot once Agogo returns from injury.
“I’m getting older and all I can do is fight for my place,” he said.
“I’ve come from a higher level so it’s been difficult to play as many games as I would have liked to, but I’ve been looking and learning and hopefully I can put that into action now.”