Daggers keeper pens new deal
Tony Roberts extends his Daggers career for a further year
Dagenham & Redbridge’s record appearance maker Tony Roberts has signed a new one year deal with the club.
The veteran goalkeeper, who will turn 42 before the start of the new season, has made 507 appearances for Daggers since joining from St Albans in July 2000.
As well as being Daggers number one, the Welshman is a goalkeeping coach with Arsenal and after two years of working with the Academy goalkeepers, joined the first team coaching staff last season.
It was feared that Roberts, who has won two full international caps, would end his playing career to concentrate on coaching full-time, but he has agreed to remain at Victoria Road for a further 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
The former Queens Park Rangers and Millwall goalkeeper missed just three league games last season and kept six clean sheets.
Roberts is often seen sharing a joke with the visiting team’s supporters during games, but team-mate Scott Doe revealed that despite his laid-back appearance, the Daggers stopper is the ultimate professional.
- 1 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 2 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 3 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 6 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 7 'It's appalling' - Frustration over persistent Collier Row water leak
- 8 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 9 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 10 Love is in the hair: Care home helps resident rekindle hairdressing passion
“He does what he does on the pitch, but he’s more serious in the changing room,” said Doe.
“He makes sure everyone’s on their game and up for it.
“It would never be easy to replace someone like ‘Robbo’ because of his experience and the number of game’s he’s played for the club.”