Daggers keeper pens new deal
Tony Roberts extends his Daggers career for a further year
Dagenham & Redbridge’s record appearance maker Tony Roberts has signed a new one year deal with the club.
The veteran goalkeeper, who will turn 42 before the start of the new season, has made 507 appearances for Daggers since joining from St Albans in July 2000.
As well as being Daggers number one, the Welshman is a goalkeeping coach with Arsenal and after two years of working with the Academy goalkeepers, joined the first team coaching staff last season.
It was feared that Roberts, who has won two full international caps, would end his playing career to concentrate on coaching full-time, but he has agreed to remain at Victoria Road for a further 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
The former Queens Park Rangers and Millwall goalkeeper missed just three league games last season and kept six clean sheets.
Roberts is often seen sharing a joke with the visiting team’s supporters during games, but team-mate Scott Doe revealed that despite his laid-back appearance, the Daggers stopper is the ultimate professional.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 3 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 4 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 5 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 6 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 7 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 8 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 9 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years
“He does what he does on the pitch, but he’s more serious in the changing room,” said Doe.
“He makes sure everyone’s on their game and up for it.
“It would never be easy to replace someone like ‘Robbo’ because of his experience and the number of game’s he’s played for the club.”