Daggers hit three in first league victory over Wycombe
League Two: Dagenham & Redbridge 3 Wycombe Wanderers 0
Dagenham & Redbridge picked up their first league win of the season with a 3-0 home triumph over Wycombe Wanderers.
Dwight Gayle gave them a 25th minute lead before Michael Spillane second half penalty and Billy Bingham’s late strike sealed the much-needed win.
It was a slow start with both sides unable to gain a foothold in the game, though the slightest of touches on Luke Howell’s 25-yard free-kick could have put the hosts in front after eight minutes.
At the other end, Chris Lewington did well to get down low to thwart Dean Morgan’s free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
Six minutes later John Still’s side were in front as another Howell free-kick was headed goalwards by Luke Wilkinson.
His effort was well saved by Archer, on loan from Spurs, but Gayle was quickest to react to the loose ball and he tapped in from close range.
- 1 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 2 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 'Accident waiting to happen': Neighbours on 'traffic carnage' around school
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Havering parks retain Green Flag awards
- 10 87-room care home on Ardleigh Green college site granted permission
Gayle almost doubled his and Daggers tally when he flicked a Femi Ilesanmi ball goalwards but Archer was equal to the effort.
Wycombe, under the temporary charge of Gareth Ainsworth, came back into the encounter as the half drew to a close with Lewington getting the faintest of touches on Matt Spring’s curling effort.
The visitors started the second half brightly but Daggers extended their lead from the penalty spot.
Danny Foster was adjudged to have handled in the box, a decision given by the linesman, and Spillane scored his second spot kick in successive games.
Wycombe, especially after the introduction of Junior Morias looked lively and dominated possession.
But try as they may they failed to turn that into chances and Daggers rounded off the victory in style as Billy Bingham fired home with the outside of his right foot with two minutes remaining.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ogogo, Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi, Bingham, Spillane, Howell, Scott (Elito 78), Williams, Gayle (Woodall 83).
Substitutes: Seabright, Dominic Green, Reed, Hoyte, Danny J Green.
Attendance: 1,618 (323 Wycombe Wanderers fans)