Daggers go bottom of League Two after thumping defeat
Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Cheltenham Town 5
Chris Lewington was sent off for the second time this season as Daggers were hammered at home to promotion-chasing Cheltenham.
Medy Elito made his second start since August and Brian Woodall returned up front alongside Josh Scott after a groin problem.
But it was Cheltenham who made all the good early running and keeper Chris Lewington had to be at his sharpest after to deny Jeff Goulding who found space inside the box.
But the visitors soon took control with two goals in three minutes to stun Daggers.
You may also want to watch:
On 20 minutes Luke Garbutt’s corner was cleared to the edge of the box where Luke Summerfield thundered a spectacular strike into the top corner.
And two minutes later Cheltenham’s lead was doubled after Daggers again failed to deal with a corner and Steve Elliott fired in low through a crowded box.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
Daggers briefly threatened to get back in the game when Brian Woodall’s header tested the handling of Brown.
But the match was effectively settled when Lewington was sent off for handball outside the box on 41 minutes, the resulting free-kick from Garbutt was parried out by substitute keeper Dave Hogan and Kaid Mohamed fired in from close range.
After the break Cheltenham continued to dominate and made it four on 62 minutes when Femi Ilesanmi failed to clear Sido Jombati’s hopeful ball forwards and James Spencer took advantage to blast past Hogan.
The misery was complete when Mohamed’s low left-wing cross deflected off Michael Spillane and up and over the helpless Hogan.
Daggers: Lewington, Spillane, Doe, Arber, Ilesanmi, Nurse, Saunders, Ogogo (Rose 87), Elito (Hogan 41), Scott, Woodall (Cunnington 66). Unused subs: Bingham, Green.
Cheltenham: Brown, Jombati, Elliott (Lowe 76), Bennett, Garbutt, Pack (Smikle 72), Penn, Summerfield, Low, Mohamed, Goulding (Spencer 45). Unused subs: Duffy, McGlashan.
Attendance: 1,516 (including 158 away)