Daggers fall to defeat at Torquay after Ogogo own goal
League Two: Torquay United 2 Dagenham & Reedbridge 1
Dagenham & Redbridge captain Abu Ogogo inadvertently fired past his own goalkeeper as the Daggers fell to a 2-1 loss at Torquay.
The Daggers were up against it from the off and after just 30 seconds the Gulls top scorer Rene Howe fired against the post.
Still’s side were under immense pressure in the early exchanges, but they rode the storm before mounting their first spell in the Torquay half.
Medy Elito had an effort from distance easily saved by home goalkeeper Michael Poke while Jake Reed saw a shot blocked behind for a corner.
After an intense opening few minutes, the game began to die down.
But it was the Gulls who looked the more threatening on the attack and Howe saw another effort saved by Lewington.
- 1 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 2 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 3 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 5 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 6 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 7 Romford flooring company proposes disused shop as site for new three-storey building with six homes
- 8 Wennington: Sale organised in Rainham with proceeds for residents affected by devastating fire
- 9 Hornchurch care home found to have 'made improvements' at CQC check-up
- 10 Man dies after suffering gunshot injuries in Harold Hill
And they went even closer after 32 minutes when Joe Oastler’s deep free-kick was flicked on by Aaron Downes for Howe, who was superbly denied by Lewington.
But they eventually took the lead after the Daggers failed to clear a Howe dinked ball into the box as Lewington pushed it straight out to Danny Stevens to lash home from close range and it was Daggers’ 350th goal conceded in the Football League.
Both teams exchanged chances after the break with Howe and Reed drilling efforts just wide of target, before Abu Ogogo was booked for an industrious challenge on Howe after 65 minutes.
After the introduction of Woodall and Caprice, Daggers livened up but were let off with 20 minutes remaining when Ryan Jarvis headed Nathan Craig’s cross wide of the goal.
But the visitors were certainly brighter in the attack after the double substitution and after firing one effort just wide, Saunders levelled with a fine effort from the right edge of the area past Poke after 73 minutes.
Parity did not last long though as Torquay substitute Niall Thompson received the ball six minutes later on the left before firing a shot which was deflected in by skipper Abu Ogogo into his own net.
And as time ticked away the closest Dagger came to another leveller was through an injury-time free-kick from Saunders which sailed over the bar.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ogogo, Doe, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Saunders, Spillane (Caprice 68), Howell, Elito (Scott 86), Reed (Woodall 68), Williams.
Substitutes not used: Maher, Hoyte, Bingham, Seabright.
Attendance: 2.069 (96 Dagenham fans)