Daggers fall to defeat at Torquay after Ogogo own goal
League Two: Torquay United 2 Dagenham & Reedbridge 1
Dagenham & Redbridge captain Abu Ogogo inadvertently fired past his own goalkeeper as the Daggers fell to a 2-1 loss at Torquay.
The Daggers were up against it from the off and after just 30 seconds the Gulls top scorer Rene Howe fired against the post.
Still’s side were under immense pressure in the early exchanges, but they rode the storm before mounting their first spell in the Torquay half.
Medy Elito had an effort from distance easily saved by home goalkeeper Michael Poke while Jake Reed saw a shot blocked behind for a corner.
You may also want to watch:
After an intense opening few minutes, the game began to die down.
But it was the Gulls who looked the more threatening on the attack and Howe saw another effort saved by Lewington.
- 1 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 5 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 6 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 7 East London police officer charged with rape
- 8 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 9 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
- 10 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
And they went even closer after 32 minutes when Joe Oastler’s deep free-kick was flicked on by Aaron Downes for Howe, who was superbly denied by Lewington.
But they eventually took the lead after the Daggers failed to clear a Howe dinked ball into the box as Lewington pushed it straight out to Danny Stevens to lash home from close range and it was Daggers’ 350th goal conceded in the Football League.
Both teams exchanged chances after the break with Howe and Reed drilling efforts just wide of target, before Abu Ogogo was booked for an industrious challenge on Howe after 65 minutes.
After the introduction of Woodall and Caprice, Daggers livened up but were let off with 20 minutes remaining when Ryan Jarvis headed Nathan Craig’s cross wide of the goal.
But the visitors were certainly brighter in the attack after the double substitution and after firing one effort just wide, Saunders levelled with a fine effort from the right edge of the area past Poke after 73 minutes.
Parity did not last long though as Torquay substitute Niall Thompson received the ball six minutes later on the left before firing a shot which was deflected in by skipper Abu Ogogo into his own net.
And as time ticked away the closest Dagger came to another leveller was through an injury-time free-kick from Saunders which sailed over the bar.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ogogo, Doe, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Saunders, Spillane (Caprice 68), Howell, Elito (Scott 86), Reed (Woodall 68), Williams.
Substitutes not used: Maher, Hoyte, Bingham, Seabright.
Attendance: 2.069 (96 Dagenham fans)