Daggers denied on return north
League Two: Morecambe 2 Dagenham & Redbridge 1
Daggers suffered their second defeat of 2013 as goals from Jordan Burrow and Andy Parrish cancelled out Brian Woodall’s early opener.
John Still made one change from his side’s weekend victory over Accrington, with Sam Williams being replaced by Josh Scott.
And the night started well for Daggers as Brian Woodall gave them the lead inside 10 minutes.
Matt Saunders’ corner was only partially cleared, which allowed Woodall to thunder his volley off the underside of the bar for his first league goal of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Morecambe asserted pressure for the remainder of the first half and, but for a world-class fingertip save onto the bar by Chris Lewington from Lewis Alessandra’s strike it would have been level.
Luke Wilkinson then combined with Lewington once more to deny the Shrimps in front of a bumper, club record 4,029 crowd – boosted by a free ticket offer after the original December 22 fixture was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Havering Hospitality Hero: Hornchurch's Tandoori Lounge racks up awards
And, despite neat play between Woodall and Saturday’s star Medy Elito, Morecambe should have levelled at the end of the half.
Parrish’s cross to the back post was met by Stewart Drummond, but somehow the midfielder contrived to head wide of the mark.
The second half began in much of the same fashion and soon enough Morecambe were deservedly level.
The unmarked Kevin Ellison’s header back across goal from Alessandra’s free-kick was met by Burrow, who tapped home from close range.
Daggers were now under constant pressure and a shadow of the side they had been in the opening 30 minutes.
Lewington was forced to beat away another goalbound Ellison shot, while McDonald’s effort on the turn was cleared off the line thanks to Wilkinson once more.
A change of formation to 4-4-2 and the introduction of Jake Reed for Scott only served to stir Morecambe even more.
And the home side took the lead soon after, with Alessandra again the architect for Parrish to net his first-ever goal for the club at the far post.
Reed miscued a late effort for Daggers and Elito saw his free-kick rebound off the wall as Still’s men paid for a poor second-half performance.
Daggers remain 14th after this setback and will look to make amends at home to Rochdale at the weekend.
Daggers: Lewington, Hoyte, Doe, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Ogogo, Saunders (Caprice 85), Howell, Elito, Scott (Reed 67), Woodall (Edmans 80).
Substitutes not used: Seabright, Maher, Bingham, Spillane.
Attendance: 4,029 (56 Dagenham Fans).