Daggers boss calls on star defenders to improve
Dagenham & Redbridge boss John Still has called on star defenders Mark Arber and Scott Doe to up their performances and help the team rediscover their good early-season form.
The central-defensive pair have been arguably Daggers’ two most consistent players over the past two years, with Arber second and Doe third in last season’s club Player of the Year awards.
But after a solid start to this campaign, which included Arber taking the League Two Player of the Month trophy for August and the team taking nine points from 12, the pair’s form has slipped and with it so have results.
But Still feels more disciplined performances from his normally reliable duo will spur their team-mates on to picking up the points required to climb away from danger.
“I’m confident that we’ll win games. At the moment we’ve got some defenders not playing well enough, but if we get them playing well enough I think all the other ingredients are there,” said Still.
You may also want to watch:
“Let’s not run away with the idea that this will all fall into place. The only thing that will help it fall into place is working hard and players performing to the standards we’ve come to expect from them.
“It isn’t like a younger player or a new player coming in and taking time to settle. The only place we haven’t touched this year is our back four.
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 4 Romford woman arrested on suspicion of illegal money lending
- 5 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 6 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 7 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 8 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 9 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 10 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
“This is a back four that conceded one goal here against Brighton and one goal here against Huddersfield.
“We’re talking about a back four that stood up in the division above and I thought came out with unbelievable credit and I looked at the likes of Abu Ogogo, Scott Doe and Femi (Ilesanmi) and thought you boys are only going to get better.
“Well I think the time has come for them to step up and be better.
“Richard Rose is here and Femi is here, so there’s pressure on the two full-backs.
“But, if I’m honest, I think the two full-backs are doing okay. But the centre of defence is an area we have to look at. It’s about being disciplined and professional.
“If an area isn’t working for you, you have to sort that area out, so there’s some work to do.”