Daggers beaten by last-minute penalty

Capital One Cup first round: Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Coventry City 1

Kevin Kilbane struck a 90th-minute penalty to dump Dagenham & Redbridge out of the Capital One Cup in round one.

Daggers, who have never won a League Cup tie, appeared to have done enough to force extra time against their higher division opponents.

But a last-minute penalty from the Republic of Ireland international extended that unwanted record.

Callum Ball got the first sniff at goal on eight minutes, but his shot on the turn was blocked bravely by Femi Ilesanmi.

You may also want to watch:

And two minutes later Cody McDonald raced clear of the Daggers defence after good link-up play with Ball, but his fierce low shot was pushed behind by Chris Lewington.

Midway through the first half Daggers, unable to impose themselves on the Coventry defence early on, had a super chance to open the scoring.

Most Read

Gavin Hoyte’s deep cross from the right-flank was headed back across goal by Brian Woodall, but Josh Scott made a poor connection on the volley and the ball trickled harmlessly through to keeper Joe Murphy.

Before half-time Daggers went close through Billy Bingham, Ilesanmi and Josh Scott, but the trio all failed to find the target.

And John Still’s men came closest to opening the scoring shortly before the interval, as they slowly found their footing in the game, when Scott Doe’s half-volley hit the crossbar and bounced over.

The second half took an age to get going and Still rolled the dice first, introducing Sam Williams and Jake Reed from the bench.

Reed soon had a tame goal-bound header caught by Murphy, while at the other end Lewington dominated his box with a series of strong punches and dashes from his goal line to sweep up any pressure from the visitors.

With the game destined for extra time, Daggers handed Coventry a gilt-edged opportunity to progress when Michael Spillane fouled Richard Wood as they challenged for a high ball inside the box.

Kilbane made no mistake from 12 yards as the Sky Blues reached round two.

Daggers: Lewington, Hoyte, Spillane, Doe, Ilesanmi, Bingham, Howell, Ogogo, Elito, Scott (Reed 66), Woodall (Williams 56). Subs: Davies, Wilkinson, Dominic Green, Danny Green, Dennis.

Coventry: Murphy, Clarke, Hussey, Baker, McDonald, McSheffrey (Elliott 70), Kilbane, Ball (O’Donovan 85), Wood, Daniels, Brown. Subs: Dunn, Malaga, Jeffers, Edjenguele, Garner.

Attendance: 1,904 (including 580 away supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter