Daggers battle to a deserved point at Burton
League Two: Burton Albion 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 1
Michael Spillane’s stunning first-half goal earned 10-man Dagenham & Redbridge a battling point at Burton.
Daggers posed the greater goal threat from the off and after Brian Woodall’s fierce strike had deflected wide, Abu Ogogo saw a well-placed effort roll agonisingly off target.
But the visitors, buoyed by their midweek FA Cup heroics, took the lead on 26 minutes through Spillane.
The defender, on loan from Brentford, curled a superb 25 yard free-kick beyond the motionless Burton keeper Ross Atkins.
You may also want to watch:
Daggers continued to dominate until half time, but could not find a second goal.
Spillane marshalled a rock-solid defence, which gave the forwards a platform to move the ball well on a heavy pitch.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 3 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 4 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 5 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 8 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 9 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson included in Little Mix display at Madame Tussauds
Both Josh Scott and Cristian Montano forced saves from Atkins, as Burton hung on.
The Brewers improved after the break and equalised on 53 minutes.
Cleveland Taylor’s inswinging corner was headed in at the far post by Calvin Zola.
On the hour a late challenge from Abu Ogogo on Aaron Webster sparked a 20-man brawl and earned the Daggers midfielder a straight red card.
Daggers were furious with the reaction of the Burton players, whose only punishment was a booking for Nathan Stanton, and first-team coach Wayne Burnett was sent to the stands.
The visitors spent the majority of the final 30 minutes on the back foot, but a low strike from Zola that was saved by Lewington, was the closest Burton came to a winner.
Burton: Atkins, Amankwaah, Stanton, Austin, Webster, Taylor (Kee 70), Bolder, McGrath, Maghoma, Richards (Gurrieri 81), Zola. Subs: Corbett, Palmer, Phillips.
Daggers: Lewington, Rose, Doe, Spillane, Ilesanmi, Montano (Cunnington 90), Ogogo, Maher, Gain, Scott (Nurse 87), Woodall (Bingham 73). Subs: Hogan, Geohaghon.