Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Exeter City 1

Romain Vincelot scored his fourth goal of the season to earn Daggers a point.

DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE climbed off the bottom of League One after they came from behind earn a draw at home to Exeter City on Tuesday night.

Richard Logan gave Paul Tisdale’s an early lead, before Romain Vincelot equalised after the interval to end a run of two successive defeats of John Still’s men.

Daggers were punished for a slow start to the game when Exeter took the lead after five minutes.

The home side’s rearguard looked like they were sleep walking, as Ryan Harley strolled into the box and crossed for Jamie Cureton.

The former Norwich City striker flicked the midfielder’s delivery to the back post where Logan was lurking, sensing an easy kill.

Unmarked, he guided a header past Tony Roberts to the delight of the 373 travelling Grecians.

Most Read

Under the floodlights of a muted Victoria Park, Dagenham & Redbridge were not so much struggling to get out of first gear, but stuck in park with the hand break firmly on.

The Daggers could have done with the combined talents sitting in the stands – departed striker Paul Benson and Arsenal and England speedster Theo Walcott.

Despite their sloppy use of the ball, Dagenham & Redbridge managed to create a chance after 24 minutes.

Danny Green set Phil Ilfil away down the right wing with a quick throw and the right back lofted a deep cross into the box, where Gavin Tomlin was waiting surrounded by a squadron of Exeter defenders.

Not expecting to receive the ball the striker miscontrolled the ball and the visiting rearguard cleared their lines.

On the cusp of half-time the hosts almost levelled courtesy of Scott Goldbourne’s left leg as he tried to block Peter Gain’s effort. The ball was looping into the net until Paul Jones scrambled back to tip over.

There was more bite to Still’s troops in after the interval and Josh Scott came close to levelling in the 54th minute.

French midfielder Vincelot broke up an Exeter passage of play before breaking forward and slipping the ball to his left, where Scott was waiting like a coiled spring.

He pulled the trigger, but fired his left foot shot into the side netting, instead of shooting across Jones.

The momentum was gathering and with little over an hour played Scott hit the bar with a header after he met a cross from Ilfil.

Dagenham & Redbridge switched to a 3-5-2 and it paid off almost immediately. Green whipped in a corner from the right and Vincelot rose above his marker to power a header into the net. Every one of the midfielder’s four goals this season have come with his head.

Daggers dominated the second half, but were almost punished for switching off defensively inside the final 10 minutes with Logan and Troy Archibald-Henville both going close for the Grecians.

With two minutes to play substitute Bas Savage wasted a chance to win the game for the home side, when he slammed the ball into the side netting after he reacted quickest to a save from Jones.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Robert, McCrory, Doe, Arber, Ilfil (Gwillim, 68 mins), Green, Vincelot, Lewis, Gain, Scott (Savage, 63 mins), Tomlin. Subs: Lewington, Nurse, Scannell, Currie, Montgomery.