Youth worker from Rainham given suspended prison sentence for sexual assault
- Credit: Archant
A youth worker who lured a woman to his home in a block of flats to sexually assault her has been given a suspended prison sentence after a court heard he was in need of “a little guidance”.
Paul Braithwaite, 31, of Syracuse Avenue, Rainham, has been convicted of touching a woman sexually without her consent at Snaresbrook Crown Court.
The court heard that Braithwaite told the woman to come to his building to settle a mobile phone bill.
He grabbed her around the waist, exposed himself and thrust his hand into her underwear.
He proceeded to tell the victim he would sexually assault her before releasing her when they reached his front door.
Braithwaite has two previous cautions for battery and a caution for criminal damage.
Judge Joanna Korner passed a suspended sentence because she said there was a “glimmer of hope” that Braithwaite realised the harm he has caused women.
- 1 Farming family to be evicted from Upminster land they worked for a century
- 2 Man found dead following 'group disturbance' in Rainham
- 3 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 4 Murder investigation launched after man found dead in Rainham
- 5 Rainham cannabis factory worth over £1m busted in drugs raid
- 6 'I feel ignored': Mum of three speaks out about bid to escape cramped housing
- 7 School submits plans to demolish sports hall and build multi-million pound replacement
- 8 'Abused, slapped and spat at': New Romford shopping centre tells of racist abuse suffered by staff
- 9 Twelve Havering properties sold for more than £1m in October
- 10 Romford shopping centre to host more than 50 events in run up to Christmas
Aisha Khan, defending, said her client was very sorry for the hurt he caused, and that he had two young children whom he supports financially.
“He is a young man who has done a lot of good but is perhaps a young man who is in need of a little guidance,” she said.
Sentencing him to 18 months imprisonment suspended for two years, Judge Korner said: “You put her through an absolutely terrifying experience, she believed you were going to try and force yourself upon her and in fact rape her.”
“I don’t believe that even now you understand the fear that you caused her.”
Braithwaite was also ordered to complete an intensive anti-domestic violence course and pay £100 victim surcharge.
He has been forbidden from contacting the victim.