Youth’s stabbing of former Havering schoolboy was ‘self-defence’
A 16-YEAR-old boy who stabbed a former St Edwards School pupil to death in the street, was cleared of murder last week after a judge ruled he acted in self defence.
The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, plunged a knife into the heart of Olukorede Fajinmi, 17, of Park Avenue, Ilford, during a clash between two rival gangs.
Olukorede attended St Edwards Church of England School, in London Road, Romford, for five years, leaving in 2008.
It emerged during the Old Bailey trial that Olukorede, also known as Korede, was part of a group of “Dagenham Boys” who had just left a party at the Powerleague Leisure Centre in Beckton, east London, on February 19.
Witnesses told how they spotted a larger group from the “Harts Lane” gang in Barking and charged them, forcing them to flee.
You may also want to watch:
The 16-year-old was caught and stabbed in the shoulder twice by Korede before taking out his own knife and causing the fatal injury, jurors heard.
Peter Beaumont QC said: “Starting on the premise that it was [the 16-year-old] who caused the deceased’s death by stabbing in the chest, the Crown has nevertheless to prove that he caused the death unlawfully.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 7 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 8 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
“That is to say not in necessary and reasonable self defence. In focusing on that issue and examining the evidence available to the prosecution, I have come to the conclusion that the prosecution do not cross that threshhold.”
The prosecution dropped a charge against a second teenager who was said to have stabbed the 16-year-old boy in the shoulder in revenge for the killing of Olukorede.
Jurors will now only have to consider whether the second youth, also 16, and his 47-year-old mother perverted the course of justice by hiding his bloodstained jacket – a charge they deny.
The trial continues.