Woman shuts herself and children in car for two hours after trying to escape police in Romford
- Credit: Archant
A woman crashed her car with two children inside when trying to escape from police – and then refused to get out for more than two hours.
Officers attempted to pull the car over in Mercury Gardens at 3.15pm on Wednesday but it failed to stop.
They then blocked the car at traffic lights near the roundabout with Victoria Road but again the driver attempted to reverse away from officers, only to hit another car.
She then refused to get out of the car, which had two children in it. After more than two hours of negotiation, the children were allowed to leave the car at 6pm. The woman voluntarily left the car a short time later.
She was taken to an east London police station and interviewed under caution in relation to driving with no insurance and failing to stop for police. No arrests have been made.
You may also want to watch:
The road was closed while officers dealt with the ongoing situation, which confused onlookers.
Mark Redding, who works at Kall Kwick, Victoria Road, said: “It has been going on nearly three hours. I don’t really know what happened.
- 1 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 4 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 5 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 6 Captain Sam Roberts bids farewell and thanks Romford Junior Raiders
- 7 Men fined following New Year's Eve rave in Brentwood
- 8 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 9 'My girls aren't sleeping': Harold Hill family searching for Pog the dog
- 10 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
“There is one police van and a squad car at the rear of our shop and other cars blocking the road.”
Inquiries into the circumstances continue.