Woman shuts herself and children in car for two hours after trying to escape police in Romford
- Credit: Archant
A woman crashed her car with two children inside when trying to escape from police – and then refused to get out for more than two hours.
Officers attempted to pull the car over in Mercury Gardens at 3.15pm on Wednesday but it failed to stop.
They then blocked the car at traffic lights near the roundabout with Victoria Road but again the driver attempted to reverse away from officers, only to hit another car.
She then refused to get out of the car, which had two children in it. After more than two hours of negotiation, the children were allowed to leave the car at 6pm. The woman voluntarily left the car a short time later.
She was taken to an east London police station and interviewed under caution in relation to driving with no insurance and failing to stop for police. No arrests have been made.
The road was closed while officers dealt with the ongoing situation, which confused onlookers.
Mark Redding, who works at Kall Kwick, Victoria Road, said: “It has been going on nearly three hours. I don’t really know what happened.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Here are five top-rated delicious 'cheap eats' in Havering, according to Tripadvisor
- 3 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 4 'Crucial' consultation begins on proposed changes to Lower Thames Crossing project
- 5 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 6 TOWIE stars and West Ham footballer attend Upminster health centre's launch
- 7 'Irreversible stress': Nearly 2,000 oppose move to suspend Cranham and Upminster midwifery service
- 8 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 9 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 10 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
“There is one police van and a squad car at the rear of our shop and other cars blocking the road.”
Inquiries into the circumstances continue.