Violent pub brawl spills into Rainham street
- Credit: Archant
Two men were badly beaten up with wooden sticks when a violent pub brawl spilled out into the street on Friday night.
Police were called just after 10pm to the New Angel Inn pub, Broadway, Rainham after reports of a group of men fighting.
Ambulance crews also attended and took one man to hospital following the attack, which the police are treating as GBH.
Cllr Jeff Tucker witnessed two men getting beaten up with long wooden sticks in Upminster Road South, around the corner from the pub.
“I saw a group of blokes come up, probably aged about 25-30,” he said. “Two of them had long bits of wood and they hit this guy and kicked him – he was a giant, at least 6”7 – they really beat him up.
You may also want to watch:
“There was another bloke on the floor for a while covered in blood, but he wasn’t as badly injured.
“We haven’t had this behaviour for a long time in the village. I don’t know how it started but violence is not the answer and we don’t tolerate it.”
- 1 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 2 Concern as drop kerb charges surge by 40%
- 3 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 4 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 5 Romford has one of UK's best retail recoveries, footfall data suggests
- 6 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 7 Romford add to management team as Boro win 11-goal Waltham Abbey friendly
- 8 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 10 Mum's anger amid mice infestation: 'Housing association fobbed it off'
Cllr Tucker said the attackers fled down Upminster Road South, away from the village.
Havering police are investigating and inquiries continue. No arrests have been made.
The man’s injuries are not said to be life threatening.
Broadway in Rainham Village was closed until 5am on Saturday while officers dealt with the situation.