Upminster man to be sentenced after helping east London armed robbery gang

Amarjeet Bharj, 48

Amarjeet Bharj, 48 - Credit: Archant

An Upminster man will be sentenced next month after helping an armed gang coordinate robberies across east London.

Amarjeet Bharj, 48, of Front Lane, helped the rest of the gang by sourcing vehicles and insurance, as well as being present on the day of the robbery last August in Chadwell Heath.

Today five other gang members Michael Carbon, 26, David Sadiku, 41, Paulius Strasunskas, 27, of Marston Road, South Woodford, Francis Carbon, 32 and Aamir Kayani, 31, of Elgin House, Whalebone Lane North, were convicted at The Old Bailey following a nine-week trial.

All seven members of the gang have now been convicted and will be sentenced on July 18.

Bharj was found guilty of two counts of robbery, burglary, two firearms offences and possession of a prohibited weapon.

The seventh member of the gang was Kelly Day, of Northbrook Road, Ilford, who was convicted of robbery and possession of a firearm. Day pleaded guilty to her offences.

The offences occurred during last summer, but on August 8 officers from the Flying Squad, supported by armed police, foiled a robbery at Milap mini-supermarket in High Road, Chadwell Heath after a proactive operation.

Most Read

Michael Carbon and Strasunskas, armed with a handgun, entered the store and threatened a member of staff. They then stole cash and other items of property.

As they returned to their getaway vehicle officers arrested them.

Francis Carbon and Strasunskas were arrested nearby in control of two getaway vehicles, and Kayani by the Direct Golf driving range, Whalebone Lane North, having fled the scene.

He acted as lookout from his Audi which was parked in a public house car park opposite the venue.

The gang used walkie-talkies to co-ordinate their attack.

The firearm and a quantity of cash were recovered from them, and a male member of staff required hospital treatment for minor injuries.

Reactive enquiries then linked members of this criminal gang to three other offences in Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, on July 5 and Norfolk Road, Seven Kings, in June.

Detective Chief Inspector Steve Ellen said: “The gang spent considerable time organising their attacks and always put in place a plan to make good their escape.

“The excellent work by Flying Squad officers, together with support from armed units, has led to the removal of a dangerous gang, who specifically came together for the purpose of causing fear and disruption to the business community in east London and Essex.

“We will continue to target those we suspect of being involved in carrying out gun-enabled crime to the detriment of the business community in London.”