Update: Verdicts delivered in trial into food poisoning at Hornchurch pub
- Credit: Archant
A pub chain is facing a large fine after it was found guilty of serving an unsafe Christmas dinner, which a woman died after eating.
Della Callagher, 46, died and 32 other diners became ill after eating at the Railway Hotel, in Hornchurch, on Christmas Day 2012.
A trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court heard how Mrs Callager, a mother-of-one, became seriously ill on Boxing Day and died at Queen’s Hospital.
The jury found the owners of the pub, Mitchells & Butlers, guilty of placing unsafe food on the market and not ensuring food hygiene rules were followed, yesterday.
Today the manager of the Railway Hotel, Ann McSweeney, 40, and chef Mehmet Kaya, 37, of Water Lane, Purfleet, Essex, were found guilty of perverting the court of justice for falsifying food safety records after the outbreak. The pair were found not guilty of placing unsafe food on the market.
You may also want to watch:
McSweeney of Suttons Avenue, Hornchurch, was also found not guilty of obstructing a police officer.
Guests paid £39.95 for the meal, which had been cooked the day before and reheated before it was brought to the table.
- 1 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 4 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 5 Rainham flat ravaged by late night blaze
- 6 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 7 Campaigners ‘overjoyed’ and developer to 'consider its next steps' following Gallows Corner Tesco refusal
- 8 Covid-19: How has Havering fared over the last four weeks?
- 9 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 10 Application to install 5G mast in Cranham refused
Andrew Campbell-Tiech, QC, prosecuting, said the food was not allowed to cool when it was first cooked and then not properly reheated, creating a perfect breeding ground for clostridium bacteria.
McSweeney and Kaya disposed of all the waste food, preventing health inspectors from taking samples, and forged kitchen records after the outbreak, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
An account of Mrs Callagher’s family’s distress as her condition rapidly deteriorated was also heard during the trial.
A spokesperson for Birmingham based Mitchells & Butlers said: “Mitchells & Butlers respects the court’s decision.
“We have taken this matter extremely seriously, and have co-operated fully with the local authority throughout their investigations. Food safety is our highest priority and our employees are required to adhere to these stringent procedures at all times.
“Our thoughts remain with the Callagher family during this difficult time.”
All three are expected to be sentenced on January 8.
For a full report see Friday’s Recorder.