Twice-married Romford paedophile lured girl, 14, via social media
- Credit: Archant
A paedophile from Romford who engaged in repeated sexual encounters with a 14-year-old girl after grooming the teenager on social networking sites has been jailed.
Wayne Gammon’s relationship with the youngster was brought to an end by an observant member of the public, Gareth Oram, who saw the girl trying to get away from him in a street, Gloucester Crown Court heard.
Mr Oram called police when the girl told him Gammon, 45, of Wolesley Road, had been following and stalking her.
The girl was upset and shaking.
After police arrived she told how Gammon had befriended her on social media and then started travelling to Cheltenham in Gloucestershire to see her.
You may also want to watch:
His offences had led to her self-harming and feeling suicidal, the court was told.
Gammon groomed her for sex and she had intercourse with him at least twice, as well as performing other sex acts with him over a period of several months. During some of the visits he had given her alcohol and cannabis.
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Romford woman arrested on suspicion of illegal money lending
- 4 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 5 'Hugely destructive': Action group slams proposed Lower Thames Crossing
- 6 Romford Junior Raiders sign forward James Hounsome
- 7 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 8 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 9 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
- 10 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
Gammon admitted meeting the girl with a view to having sex with her between January 15 and February 4.
He also pleaded guilty to causing or inciting her to commit a sexual act with him and three charges of having sexual activity with a child.
He was jailed for four years by Judge William Hart, who told him: “You groomed her, you exploited her naivete, you exploited her immature sexual curiousity and you exploited her vulnerability.
“Your behaviour towards her was predatory. It shows you have a darker side to your nature concealed from those who know you only in the light of the day.
“An aggravated factor is that you had unprotected intercourse with her and you gave her alcohol and cannabis by way of a bribe or reward.
“This was determined activity – you were crossing the country to indulge yourself with this young girl.”
Prosecutor Richard Posner said after Gammon’s arrest police found he had been making contact with underage girls in Canada, Spain and France, as well as the UK. Most of those children had told him to leave them alone.
Defence solicitor Andrew Hobson said the offences happened because Gammon was lonely after two marriage break-ups.