Twice-married Romford paedophile lured girl, 14, via social media
- Credit: Archant
A paedophile from Romford who engaged in repeated sexual encounters with a 14-year-old girl after grooming the teenager on social networking sites has been jailed.
Wayne Gammon’s relationship with the youngster was brought to an end by an observant member of the public, Gareth Oram, who saw the girl trying to get away from him in a street, Gloucester Crown Court heard.
Mr Oram called police when the girl told him Gammon, 45, of Wolesley Road, had been following and stalking her.
The girl was upset and shaking.
After police arrived she told how Gammon had befriended her on social media and then started travelling to Cheltenham in Gloucestershire to see her.
You may also want to watch:
His offences had led to her self-harming and feeling suicidal, the court was told.
Gammon groomed her for sex and she had intercourse with him at least twice, as well as performing other sex acts with him over a period of several months. During some of the visits he had given her alcohol and cannabis.
- 1 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
- 2 Letters: Social distancing, vaccination experience and how to stop catalytic converter thefts
- 3 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 4 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 5 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 6 Romford MP hails charity's 'extraordinary' work during Covid pandemic
- 7 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 8 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
- 9 Brentwood Tudor church damaged in illegal New Year's Eve party raises nearly £20,000 for repairs
- 10 Police uncover Rainham chop shop with vehicles worth up to £100,000
Gammon admitted meeting the girl with a view to having sex with her between January 15 and February 4.
He also pleaded guilty to causing or inciting her to commit a sexual act with him and three charges of having sexual activity with a child.
He was jailed for four years by Judge William Hart, who told him: “You groomed her, you exploited her naivete, you exploited her immature sexual curiousity and you exploited her vulnerability.
“Your behaviour towards her was predatory. It shows you have a darker side to your nature concealed from those who know you only in the light of the day.
“An aggravated factor is that you had unprotected intercourse with her and you gave her alcohol and cannabis by way of a bribe or reward.
“This was determined activity – you were crossing the country to indulge yourself with this young girl.”
Prosecutor Richard Posner said after Gammon’s arrest police found he had been making contact with underage girls in Canada, Spain and France, as well as the UK. Most of those children had told him to leave them alone.
Defence solicitor Andrew Hobson said the offences happened because Gammon was lonely after two marriage break-ups.