Three deny serving food unfit for human consumption following food poisoning death of Hornchurch mum

Della Callagher died after eating a Turkey dinner on Christmas 2012

Della Callagher died after eating a Turkey dinner on Christmas 2012 - Credit: Archant

A former restaurant boss and head chef denied serving food unfit for human consumption following the death of a mother-of-one from food poisoning.

Della Callagher, 46, died after eating a Christmas Day lunch at the Railway Hotel, Hornchurch, in 2012.

Thirty-three people fell ill but Ms Callagher was the only one to die after eating the turkey dinner.

Former restaurant owner Ann McSweeney, 40, and former head chef Mehmet Kaya, 37, denied serving food that was unfit for human consumption, at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

The pub’s parent company, Mitchell and Butlers, based in Fleet Street, Birmingham, also denied the charge.


You may also want to watch:


McSweeney and Kaya also denied perverting the course of justice in relation to falsifying records.

McSweeney of Suttons Avenue, Hornchurch, and Kaya of Water Lane, Purfleet, Essex, were both granted bail until October 6 when they will face trial.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter