Thieves set four cars alight during Harold Hill police chase
Car thieves caused four cars to catch fire in a Harold Hill street around 3am this morning as they fled from police.
Two men in hooded tops broke in to a house in Honeysuckle Close to take keys so that they could steal a silver Ford Mondeo.
But a resident heard them and called police, who were quickly on the scene.
The thieves then set light to the Mondeo in nearby Pimpernel Way, causing three other cars – a silver Ford Ka, a silver Saab and a black BMW – to also catch fire.
Police chased the men on foot, using a dog search unit, while a helicopter circled the scene to provide support.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Harold Hill station put the fires out.
One suspect was arrested at the scene and taken into custody. He was questioned and bailed while police continue their enquiries.
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 6 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 8 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 9 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 10 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
Another is still at large. He is described as being about 5ft 9ins, and was wearing a hooded top.
If anyone has any information about the incident they should call Havering Police on 0300 123 12 12.