Thieves set four cars alight during Harold Hill police chase
Car thieves caused four cars to catch fire in a Harold Hill street around 3am this morning as they fled from police.
Two men in hooded tops broke in to a house in Honeysuckle Close to take keys so that they could steal a silver Ford Mondeo.
But a resident heard them and called police, who were quickly on the scene.
The thieves then set light to the Mondeo in nearby Pimpernel Way, causing three other cars – a silver Ford Ka, a silver Saab and a black BMW – to also catch fire.
Police chased the men on foot, using a dog search unit, while a helicopter circled the scene to provide support.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Harold Hill station put the fires out.
One suspect was arrested at the scene and taken into custody. He was questioned and bailed while police continue their enquiries.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
- 5 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 6 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 7 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 8 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 9 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 10 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
Another is still at large. He is described as being about 5ft 9ins, and was wearing a hooded top.
If anyone has any information about the incident they should call Havering Police on 0300 123 12 12.