The Grill Spot, Victoria Road, Romford, fined for “very serious” food breaches
- Credit: Archant
A fried chicken shop has been fined more than £9,400 after pleading guilty to “very serious” food safety offences after an investigation by Havering Council. The fast food restaurant, The Grill Spot in Victoria Road, Romford, racked up 12 convictions on Friday July 5 for breaking food safety laws over a period of a year including:
• Failing to properly register with Havering Council as a food business operator
• Failing to put in place written food safety procedures
• Failing to properly train staff in food hygiene and food safety procedures
• Failing to provide aprons and ensure it was worn when preparing and serving food
• Failing to store food in accordance with temperature control requirements
The case began in January 2012 when Aamir Raza Baloch, owner of The Grill Spot, was visited by the council to undertake food safety checks. The council found serious issues which directly contravened with food regulations designed to protect customers. Baloch had not registered as a food business in the borough leading council officials to warn that he could face prosecution and closure if he did not comply with food safety laws.
- 1 Farming family to be evicted from Upminster land they worked for a century
- 2 Murder investigation launched after man found dead in Rainham
- 3 Man found dead following 'group disturbance' in Rainham
- 4 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 5 'I feel ignored': Mum of three speaks out about bid to escape cramped housing
- 6 ‘If it’s happening, it’s a concern’: Hornchurch's surprise at claims Havering is at risk of far-right activity
- 7 Rainham cannabis factory worth over £1m busted in drugs raid
- 8 Romford shopping centre to host more than 50 events in run up to Christmas
- 9 School submits plans to demolish sports hall and build multi-million pound replacement
- 10 'Abused, slapped and spat at': New Romford shopping centre tells of racist abuse suffered by staff
The council then made a series of further visits which culminated in Baloch receiving numerous food hygiene improvement notices. During this time, the council did provide guidance and advice to assist him however, due to the continuing poor environment of his shop a final written warning was sent to Baloch. This was ahead of a visit on Tuesday December 4 which resulted in Baloch being convicted and finally pleading guilty to breaking 12 counts of food hygiene and safety laws.
Cabinet member for public protection, Cllr Lesley Kelly, said: “The safety of our residents is absolutely paramount and we work hard with food businesses to help them comply with food safety regulations.
“It is a basic requirement for food businesses to register with the Council and to comply with the minimum standards of food hygiene required by food safety law; we will take action against those who don’t.
“In this case, the defendant blatantly flouted the law and decided to ignore the numerous warnings sent from the council.
“Each food business we inspect receives a Food Hygiene Rating from 0 (urgent improvement necessary) to 5 (very good).”
Residents can find out more about the Council’s Food Hygiene Rating Scheme by visiting http://www.food.gov.uk