Teenager pleads not guilty to murder of much-loved Romford doorman Ricky Hayden
- Credit: Archant
A teenager has denied killing doorman Ricky Hayden, who was stabbed to death outside his home.
Tommy Lee Roome, 19, of Rams Grove, Chadwell Heath, appeared at the Old Bailey accused of murdering 27-year-old Ricky and the attempted murder of his father.
The defendant spoke only to confirm his name and enter not guilty pleas to the charges via video link from Belmarsh jail.
Ricky, who was also a Havering Council employee, was attacked outside his home in Gibbfield Close, Chadwell Heath, in the early hours of September 13, as he tried to stop the theft of a moped.
He died in the early hours of the following day.
You may also want to watch:
His father, Paul, 54, was also injured in the incident.
Mr Roome was remanded in custody until his trial on March 13 next year.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 7 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 8 Brentwood's unsung heroes helping the community during the pandemic
- 9 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 10 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
The trial is scheduled to take three weeks.