Teenager pleads not guilty to murder of much-loved Romford doorman Ricky Hayden
- Credit: Archant
A teenager has denied killing doorman Ricky Hayden, who was stabbed to death outside his home.
Tommy Lee Roome, 19, of Rams Grove, Chadwell Heath, appeared at the Old Bailey accused of murdering 27-year-old Ricky and the attempted murder of his father.
The defendant spoke only to confirm his name and enter not guilty pleas to the charges via video link from Belmarsh jail.
Ricky, who was also a Havering Council employee, was attacked outside his home in Gibbfield Close, Chadwell Heath, in the early hours of September 13, as he tried to stop the theft of a moped.
He died in the early hours of the following day.
You may also want to watch:
His father, Paul, 54, was also injured in the incident.
Mr Roome was remanded in custody until his trial on March 13 next year.
- 1 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 2 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 3 Romford cancer patient describes impact of Covid pandemic on mental health
- 4 Letters: Breaking bad news, boundary changes, lockdown and parking
- 5 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 6 Havering Council looking for residents to become Covid marshals
- 7 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 8 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
The trial is scheduled to take three weeks.