Teenager who admits role in Romford Lidl attack ordered to pay £310 but walks free from court

A police cordon at the scene outside Lidl, Romford, on Tuesday, November 20. Photo: Jamie Seddon

A police cordon at the scene outside Lidl, Romford, on Tuesday, November 20. Photo: Jamie Seddon - Credit: Archant

A teenager involved in an attack on a fellow 19-year-old outside Lidl in Romford town centre on Tuesday, November 20, has walked out of court after being ordered to pay £310.

Barkingside Magistrates Court heard today (Thursday, November 22) that Harry Goodwin, 19, of Aspen Grove, Upminster was with another teenager when they attacked a 19-year-old in the car park of the supermarket in Atlanta Boulevard.

The victim was in a taxi with his girlfriend when Goodwin and his friend approached them.

They got out of the taxi, and then there was an “altercation” in the car park.

Prosecuting, Paul Nagle said: “What seems to occur is Mr Goodwin puts his arms around the shoulders of the victim and then the victim pushes him away and Goodwin then punches him in the face.

“CCTV mirrors exactly what I’ve just said.

“They then both surrendered themselves.”

Most Read

It was heard the victim sustained no injuries following the punch from Goodwin.

In Goodwin’s defence, Gavin Harris said: “He has pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

“He was in tears yesterday, he has no other previous convictions and this is totally out of character.

“It’s not going to happen again.

“He is someone who some time ago was a victim of an assault himself that turned him into a recluse.”

He said that before the attack - two years ago - he had been an “outgoing young man” and a semi-professional footballer.

Appearing in court in grey prison sweats the former glassmaker - who as of Tuesday is unemployed - was made to pay costs totalling £310 after pleading guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm.

Chief magistrate Les Claridge said: “To your credit you pleaded guilty and demonstrated remorse.

“Your father may now have to pay the fine, and you will have to work it out with him how you may compensate him.”

He said the fine was the lowest sum possible because the assault was “low harm”.

Goodwin was made to pay a £120 fine, £30 victim surcharge, £75 compensation to the victim and £85 costs.

Charlie Khan, of Granton Avenue, Upminster, also appeared at Barkingside and indicated no plea to charges of grievous bodily harm (GBH) and possession of a knife.

He was remanded in custody and will appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on December 19.