Six arrested as police seize £80k cash and gold ingot worth £40k in Collier Row raid
- Credit: Archant
Police seized £80,000 in cash and a 1.5kg gold bar worth £40,000 this morning during a dawn raid.
Eight officers from Havering’s North Cluster Neighbourhood Policing Team (NPT), assisted by a specially trained drug and cash dog, discovered £50,000 hidden in a safe hidden beneath floorboards at an address in Highfield Road, Collier Row - and a further £30,000 in other areas of the premises.
The gold ingot and a small quantity of cannabis were also discovered during the search, which was led by Sergeant Chris Toms on the back of community intelligence.
Six people, three men and three women, aged 24-53 were arrested at the scene on suspicion of money laundering offences and taken to an east London police station.
Police Constable Jordan Pascel, said: “We have made a very significant discovery today. The amount of cash and other items seized were significant and I am confident that we have reduced crime in our neighbourhood as a result of our actions.”
You may also want to watch:
The NPT were assisted by Territorial Support Group officers during the 5.30am raid, and a number of computers were also seized.
Officers had applied for and were granted the warrant under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. NPT teams across the borough execute raids on a weekly basis.
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 3 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 4 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 7 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 8 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 9 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens charged with murder to face court
- 10 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array