Sick thieves target Havering women, 88 and 90, in distraction thefts
- Credit: Archant
Sick thieves stole cash from a 90-year-old Romford woman’s bedroom on Saturday in a disturbing distraction theft.
And yesterday, an 88-year-old woman was again targeted in her own home. When she refused to let a man and woman into her home they barged past her and stole her handbag.
Police in Havering are urging vulnerable members of the community to be on guard following the burglaries in Hornchurch and Romford.
Detectives from Havering’s serious crime unit believe that the two crimes are linked.
The suspects asked to gain access to the victim’s garden where they claimed to have lost something in both cases.
You may also want to watch:
The vulnerable victims also gave matching descriptions of the thieves.
The first incident happened at around 1.30pm on Saturday in an address in Mawneys when a woman trusted the suspect and allowed her access to her house.
- 1 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 7 Romford location ‘encapsulates Britain’ in soon to premiere horror movie
- 8 East London police officer charged with rape
- 9 Romford man gets community order for causing pensioner's crash death
- 10 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
While the victim went into the bathroom, the suspect rummaged through the house and stole cash from the 90 year old’s draw.
Then on Sunday the woman, 88, opened her door to a male and female at around 3.20pm at her home near Hylands Park.
Again the female suspect asked to retrieve something from the victim’s garden but the homeowner refused.
But the pair pushed passed her an took various items, including a handbag, from the home and made off in a vehicle.
Police wish to speak to two people in connection with the callous crimes.
The woman is described as white, in her mid-to-late 20s, around 5ft 5in with long, dark hair.
The man is also described as 5ft 5in and white. He is slim and bald.
Anyone with information should contact police on 101 quoting 5412146/14 as a reference or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Police have issued the following advice:
-Use the spy hole and chain before you open your door.
-Ask tradesmen for proof of identity and call their company if you are unsure.
-Beware of callers who attempt to distract you.
-Do not let anyone in if you are not convinced of their identity.
-Treat every stranger with caution and if you are concerned dial 999 immediately.