Shenfield station reopened after ‘shooting’ in car park
- Credit: Archant
Shenfield rail station has reopened after being closed following reports of a “shooting” in the car park at around 6am today.
A man in his 40s was taken to Basildon Hospital with leg injuries, a British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said, but did confirm whether the victim had suffered gunshot wounds.
“The incident was reported to BTP at 5.51am.
“On arrival, officers located a man in his forties with injuries to his leg. The man was taken by ambulance to hospital. His injuries are currently not believed to be life-threatening.
“Enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances, including how the man came to be injured.”
You may also want to watch:
Greater Anglia posted this tweet at around 6.30am: “#Shenfield - due to emergency services dealing with an incident, Mainline (fast) trains won’t be calling at Shenfield til further notice.”
The train provider updated followers just over an hour later to say the trains were calling at the station again, although the car park remained closed.
- 1 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 2 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 8 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
Rumours of the shooting began circulating on Twitter soon after the police cordon went up.
Dean Masterson wrote: “Imagine calling your work and saying ‘can’t come in today boss, got shot on my way in’ #shenfield #shooting”.
Mikey Woolnough write: ”Did someone actually get blasted at shenfield station?!? It’s Friday everyone should be happy.” ?
Anyone with any information which they believe could assist the investigation is asked to contact BTP on 0800 40 50 40, quoting incident reference 48 of 24/01/14.
Did you see what happened? Do you know the injured man? Contact Jane on 020 8477 3878 or email firstname.lastname@example.org