Seven years’ imprisonment for Romford man, 23, who helped kidnap teenager and steal two cars
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 23-year-old Romford man has been jailed for his role in kidnapping and assaulting a teenager, demanding £10,000 from him and stealing two cars.
Riaz Ahmed, 23, of Whitchurch Road, was one of a gang of four who kidnapped a 19-year-old in Beckton in March last year and was found guilty of of kidnap, robbery and assault at Wood Green Crown Court in October.
He will now serve a sentence of seven years’ imprisonment.
The young victim was taken to a secluded area near Royal Dock Road in Newham, where he was assaulted while the gang threatened him with a gun.
The beating over, he was then driven to his home in Kent where the suspects demanded that he hand over two vehicle registration documents.
You may also want to watch:
After he did so, the kidnappers proceeded to steal a BMW and a Vauxhall.
They also took about £300 in cash and a tablet computer from the premises.
- 1 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 2 'Beyond annoying' - New traffic measure coming to Hornchurch junction
- 3 Election 2021: Live Havering and Redbridge London Assembly updates
- 4 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 5 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 6 Romford woman through to Ms Great Britain 2021 final
- 7 Man in hospital after falling 'from height' in Romford
- 8 Heritage: The life of Havering's well-loved Peter the Painter
- 9 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 10 The Romfood Review: A bit of the East End in Essex
After the ordeal at his home, the gang drove their victim back to Beckton were he was forced to transfer another £200 from his account before they demanded a second payment of £10,000 within seven days.
Throughout his ordeal the victim was kicked and punched by the suspects and he sustained a number of minor injuries including cuts and bruises.
Detectives from Newham launched an investigation. Three of the suspects, including Ahmed, were quickly identified but the fourth suspect, Shahidul Islam went on the run.
As a result of a widespread media appeal in the wake of the incident, Islam handed himself in on Wednesday, 18 January. He was charged later that day.
Det Con Raf Patel, from Newham CID, said: “This victim suffered continued violence at the hands of the suspects. The ordeal will have a lasting impact.
“I am pleased that all of those involved in this crime have now been convicted and face a lengthy imprisonment.”
Shahidul Islam, 23, and Kousar Ahmed, 23, both from Newham, were also sentenced to seven years’ imprisonment.
A 16-year-old from Newham, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to three years’ imprisonment.