Seven years’ imprisonment for Romford man, 23, who helped kidnap teenager and steal two cars
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 23-year-old Romford man has been jailed for his role in kidnapping and assaulting a teenager, demanding £10,000 from him and stealing two cars.
Riaz Ahmed, 23, of Whitchurch Road, was one of a gang of four who kidnapped a 19-year-old in Beckton in March last year and was found guilty of of kidnap, robbery and assault at Wood Green Crown Court in October.
He will now serve a sentence of seven years’ imprisonment.
The young victim was taken to a secluded area near Royal Dock Road in Newham, where he was assaulted while the gang threatened him with a gun.
The beating over, he was then driven to his home in Kent where the suspects demanded that he hand over two vehicle registration documents.
You may also want to watch:
After he did so, the kidnappers proceeded to steal a BMW and a Vauxhall.
They also took about £300 in cash and a tablet computer from the premises.
- 1 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 2 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 8 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
After the ordeal at his home, the gang drove their victim back to Beckton were he was forced to transfer another £200 from his account before they demanded a second payment of £10,000 within seven days.
Throughout his ordeal the victim was kicked and punched by the suspects and he sustained a number of minor injuries including cuts and bruises.
Detectives from Newham launched an investigation. Three of the suspects, including Ahmed, were quickly identified but the fourth suspect, Shahidul Islam went on the run.
As a result of a widespread media appeal in the wake of the incident, Islam handed himself in on Wednesday, 18 January. He was charged later that day.
Det Con Raf Patel, from Newham CID, said: “This victim suffered continued violence at the hands of the suspects. The ordeal will have a lasting impact.
“I am pleased that all of those involved in this crime have now been convicted and face a lengthy imprisonment.”
Shahidul Islam, 23, and Kousar Ahmed, 23, both from Newham, were also sentenced to seven years’ imprisonment.
A 16-year-old from Newham, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to three years’ imprisonment.