Rush Green pub involved in alleged GBH incident to remain closed until August, court rules
- Credit: Archant
A Rush Green pub which had its licence revoked after a man was seriously injured there will remain closed until at least August 10 following a court hearing today (Tuesday, July 10).
Barkingside Magistrates’ Court determined there was reasonable enough evidence that the Havering Well in Rush Green Road, had been involved in serious disorder and so served a closure order on the pub until its next licensing hearing with Havering Council on August 10.
The proceedings relate to an incident on July 3 where a man suffered severe injuries to his arm following England’s last 16 World Cup tie with Colombia.
Jay Fleming, a man who was the premises’ Designated Premises Supervisor and so was responsible for maintaining safety in the venue, has since been charged with GBH with intent over the incident.
Pc Oisin Daly, of the East Area Command’s licensing team, told the Recorder: “The court heard the evidence presented and decided that a closure order should be granted on the premises preventing access to the public until the full case can be heard by the licensing sub-committee.
“If anyone wishes to make any representations before the hearing about the premises then they can do so via the Havering Council licensing department whose details are online.
“Police are still appealing for information about the incident on July 3, if anyone has any information about the stabbing I would urge them to call 101 or report it via crimestoppers.”
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Here are five top-rated delicious 'cheap eats' in Havering, according to Tripadvisor
- 3 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 4 'Crucial' consultation begins on proposed changes to Lower Thames Crossing project
- 5 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 6 TOWIE stars and West Ham footballer attend Upminster health centre's launch
- 7 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 8 'Irreversible stress': Nearly 2,000 oppose move to suspend Cranham and Upminster midwifery service
- 9 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 10 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
The court did make an exception to the order which allowed two members of the pub’s staff to enter the site to cook food that will be delivered using Ubereats and Deliveroo apps – no customers, delivery drivers nor other members of staff will be allowed to enter the building.
Speaking after the hearing, Maria Summerfield, who runs the pub, told the Recorder: “We are complying with the closure notice and we are still open for deliveries. We are working with the local licensing authority and hope to be back open soon.”