Romford pensioner facing jail term for historic sexual offences
- Credit: Archant
A pensioner who assaulted a young girl more than 50 years ago after forcing her to draw a picture of him naked is facing prison.
Trevor Payne, 67, was found guilty of rape and other sexual offences spanning more than a decade when he appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court.
He began attacking the girl in the early 1960s when he was 14 and she was eight and only stopped when she became sexually mature, the court was told.
The victim, who can not be named for legal reasons, told the court: “All he ever wanted to do was to have sex. He was always asking me to touch him.”
Payne, of Fry Close, Romford, was found guilty of three counts of rape and three counts of sexual assault. He will be sentenced on August 8.
The abuse took place until the victim was 20 in the Romford area. At the time she did not tell anyone about it.
Later she told husband who in turn told her parents but it was decades before she went to the police.
- 1 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 2 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 3 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 5 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 6 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 7 Romford flooring company proposes disused shop as site for new three-storey building with six homes
- 8 Man dies after suffering gunshot injuries in Harold Hill
- 9 Ilford man charged with possession of knife after Romford nightclub search
- 10 'Extremely hard': Mum donates Isla Caton's toys in act of kindness so 'her legacy lives on'
The court was told that the abuse ruined the victim’s sex life and that she only had intercourse with her husband a few times.
A school friend told the court that even to this day she remembered how the eight-year-old girl became “quiet and sad”.
Payne had insisted the offences never happened and said he did not even start to think about sex until he was 18.
He sighed in the dock as the verdict was announced and looked towards his partner who had accompanied him throughout the trial.
He has been released on police bail until sentencing.