Romford man jailed after murdering bed-ridden 88-year-old woman
- Credit: Archant
A Romford man has today be jailed for 18 years after murdering a bed-ridden 88-year-old woman in sheltered accommodation.
Imran Douglas, 18, of Norman Close, Romford, was only 17 at the time he committed the murder. He pleaded guilty to the crime and was today sentenced at the Old Bailey.
Police were called to care home accommodation in Sonali Gardens, in Sutton Street, Shadwell at around 4.30pm on May 24 to reports of a burglary.
A nurse had been walking past 88-year-old Margery Gilby’s room when she spotted the door, usually always open, was closed.
Peering through the letterbox, the nurse saw a man in Margery’s room, and soon after found her suffering from a stab wound - with the rear window open.
You may also want to watch:
She was pronounced dead at the scene. A post-mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary two days later gave the cause of death as strangulation and a stab wound to the neck.
Douglas was linked to the scene using CCTV footage seized by detectives at the care home. He was later arrested at an address in East London.
- 1 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 2 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 3 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 4 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 5 Havering and Barking and Dagenham parents 'outraged' at poor quality free school meal replacements
- 6 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 7 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 10 Drug and alcohol abuse by Havering parents and children soars
Det Ch Insp Graeme Gwyn, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Margery was killed as she lay in her own bed, in a place where she should have been safe. To see such violence used against a defenceless, elderly lady was truly shocking.
“Only Douglas can explain why an attempted burglary had to end in murder.
“I would like to pay testimony to Margery’s family who have demonstrated incredible dignity throughout this difficult process for them.
“Detectives arrested Douglas within hours of the murder, following the pain staking review of CCTV evidence and fast time inquiries.”