Romford man jailed after murdering bed-ridden 88-year-old woman
- Credit: Archant
A Romford man has today be jailed for 18 years after murdering a bed-ridden 88-year-old woman in sheltered accommodation.
Imran Douglas, 18, of Norman Close, Romford, was only 17 at the time he committed the murder. He pleaded guilty to the crime and was today sentenced at the Old Bailey.
Police were called to care home accommodation in Sonali Gardens, in Sutton Street, Shadwell at around 4.30pm on May 24 to reports of a burglary.
A nurse had been walking past 88-year-old Margery Gilby’s room when she spotted the door, usually always open, was closed.
Peering through the letterbox, the nurse saw a man in Margery’s room, and soon after found her suffering from a stab wound - with the rear window open.
You may also want to watch:
She was pronounced dead at the scene. A post-mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary two days later gave the cause of death as strangulation and a stab wound to the neck.
Douglas was linked to the scene using CCTV footage seized by detectives at the care home. He was later arrested at an address in East London.
- 1 Shopkeepers and customers celebrate as Romford high streets reopen
- 2 Bekash restaurant ranked best curry house in Havering on Tripadviser
- 3 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 4 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 5 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 6 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 7 Neighbour’s fury as mountain of rubbish piles up outside cottage
- 8 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 9 Could you be former Brentwood man's long lost relative?
- 10 Cycle relay through Romford supporting Help for Heroes
Det Ch Insp Graeme Gwyn, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Margery was killed as she lay in her own bed, in a place where she should have been safe. To see such violence used against a defenceless, elderly lady was truly shocking.
“Only Douglas can explain why an attempted burglary had to end in murder.
“I would like to pay testimony to Margery’s family who have demonstrated incredible dignity throughout this difficult process for them.
“Detectives arrested Douglas within hours of the murder, following the pain staking review of CCTV evidence and fast time inquiries.”