Romford man avoids jail after drunken 174 bus assault
- Credit: Archant
A 46-year-old man who drunkenly assaulted a student on a bus has been spared jail.
CCTV footage shows Paul Jones grabbing his victim from behind during the attack onboard the 174 bus by Dagenham Heathway station.
Jones, of Dorking Walk, Romford, pleaded guilty to common assault at Romford Magistrates’ Court on Thursday and was given a 12-month conditional discharge.
A further charge of racially or religiously aggravated assault was dropped after Jones’s victim failed to appear in court to give evidence.
Prosecuting lawyer Thomas John commented: “It was in the darkness at Dagenham Heathway, Mr Jones had consumed a bottle of wine before he boarded.”
He added that the bus was full of passengers who were “inconvenienced” from having to wait for police to arrive.
Pronouncing his sentence, the chair of the bench added: “We have taken into account what your defence lawyer has said and we have looked at your antecedents.
- 1 Hornchurch school puts latest outstanding rating down to 'perfect synergy'
- 2 Wendy's Romford to open tomorrow
- 3 Woman who 'glued neighbour's door shut' ordered to pay over £600
- 4 Mayor of Havering admitted to hospital with Covid-19
- 5 Eight-storey housing and retail development proposed for centre of Romford
- 6 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 7 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 8 Police: Blaze in flats with flammable cladding was arson attack
- 9 Developer submits plan to build 28 houses on rural industrial park
- 10 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
“We are going to do this by way of a conditional discharge for common assault.
“You aren’t being punished today, however if you commit any other offence during the next 12 months you can be punished.”
He added that the incident, which happened on December 8, was a “minor” offence where no injuries had been caused.
Jones was told to pay a victim surcharge of £15 and court costs of £85.