Romford man accused of kidnap appears in court
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 45-year-old office fitter from Romford appeared before magistrates today accused of kidnap.
The appearance followed a hunt, which began last week, for a man (who cannot be named for legal reasons) and a young boy.
The child went missing from a location near Braintree on May 2. His disappearance sparked a nationwide police hunt and he is now in the care of social services.
The accused did not enter a plea to the charge that he unlawfully and by force or fraud took or carried away the child against his will.
Magistrates sent the case to be dealt with a Chelmsford Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
The man’s lawyers indicated he would contest the charge. He was remanded in custody until July 13 when he is scheduled to appear at the crown court.
A second Romford man appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court last Saturday charged with assisting an offender in respect of the alleged offence.
- 1 Concern as drop kerb charges surge by 40%
- 2 Mum's anger amid mice infestation: 'Housing association fobbed it off'
- 3 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 4 Romford has one of UK's best retail recoveries, footfall data suggests
- 5 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 6 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 7 Romford add to management team as Boro win 11-goal Waltham Abbey friendly
- 8 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 9 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
- 10 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
He was remanded in custody until Wednesday May 27 when he will appear at Chelmsford Crown Court.
A woman from Guildford in Surrey has also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with this investigation bailed pending further enquiries.