Romford man accused of kidnap appears in court
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 45-year-old office fitter from Romford appeared before magistrates today accused of kidnap.
The appearance followed a hunt, which began last week, for a man (who cannot be named for legal reasons) and a young boy.
The child went missing from a location near Braintree on May 2. His disappearance sparked a nationwide police hunt and he is now in the care of social services.
The accused did not enter a plea to the charge that he unlawfully and by force or fraud took or carried away the child against his will.
Magistrates sent the case to be dealt with a Chelmsford Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
The man’s lawyers indicated he would contest the charge. He was remanded in custody until July 13 when he is scheduled to appear at the crown court.
A second Romford man appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court last Saturday charged with assisting an offender in respect of the alleged offence.
- 1 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 2 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 5 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
- 6 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 7 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
- 8 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 9 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 10 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
He was remanded in custody until Wednesday May 27 when he will appear at Chelmsford Crown Court.
A woman from Guildford in Surrey has also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with this investigation bailed pending further enquiries.