Romford man accused of kidnap appears in court
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 45-year-old office fitter from Romford appeared before magistrates today accused of kidnap.
The appearance followed a hunt, which began last week, for a man (who cannot be named for legal reasons) and a young boy.
The child went missing from a location near Braintree on May 2. His disappearance sparked a nationwide police hunt and he is now in the care of social services.
The accused did not enter a plea to the charge that he unlawfully and by force or fraud took or carried away the child against his will.
Magistrates sent the case to be dealt with a Chelmsford Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
The man’s lawyers indicated he would contest the charge. He was remanded in custody until July 13 when he is scheduled to appear at the crown court.
A second Romford man appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court last Saturday charged with assisting an offender in respect of the alleged offence.
- 1 Watch police break up 20-person Hornchurch baby shower
- 2 Can you help find Ricky Wellington, last seen on January 22 in Hornchurch?
- 3 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 4 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 5 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 6 Leaked council email casts doubt over Brookside theatre's future
- 7 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 8 Havering Council looking for residents to become Covid marshals
- 9 Romford cancer patient describes impact of Covid pandemic on mental health
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
He was remanded in custody until Wednesday May 27 when he will appear at Chelmsford Crown Court.
A woman from Guildford in Surrey has also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with this investigation bailed pending further enquiries.