Romford man accused of kidnap appears in court
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 45-year-old office fitter from Romford appeared before magistrates today accused of kidnap.
The appearance followed a hunt, which began last week, for a man (who cannot be named for legal reasons) and a young boy.
The child went missing from a location near Braintree on May 2. His disappearance sparked a nationwide police hunt and he is now in the care of social services.
The accused did not enter a plea to the charge that he unlawfully and by force or fraud took or carried away the child against his will.
Magistrates sent the case to be dealt with a Chelmsford Crown Court.
The man’s lawyers indicated he would contest the charge. He was remanded in custody until July 13 when he is scheduled to appear at the crown court.
A second Romford man appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court last Saturday charged with assisting an offender in respect of the alleged offence.
- 1 Primark confirms 'incident' involving baby in Romford store
- 2 Man murdered two armed teenage boys who had been chasing him, court told
- 3 Plans submitted for 'new housing development' in Hornchurch
- 4 Romford sexual abuse victim feels 'truly alone' after paedophile given suspended sentence
- 5 Free giveaway: Bereaved Hornchurch man to distribute new invention created while wife was terminally ill
- 6 Fire which destroys Rainham flat 'caused by laptop'
- 7 Roads reopen and residents return home after A127 Upminster crash into gas main
- 8 Man suffers 'life-threatening' injuries after vehicle hits gas main on A127
- 9 Application to build eight five-bed chalet bungalows in Havering-atte-Bower
- 10 Application to build brain injury clinic and nine 'affordable' homes in Upminster
He was remanded in custody until Wednesday May 27 when he will appear at Chelmsford Crown Court.
A woman from Guildford in Surrey has also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with this investigation bailed pending further enquiries.