Romford man accused of kidnap appears in court
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A 45-year-old office fitter from Romford appeared before magistrates today accused of kidnap.
The appearance followed a hunt, which began last week, for a man (who cannot be named for legal reasons) and a young boy.
The child went missing from a location near Braintree on May 2. His disappearance sparked a nationwide police hunt and he is now in the care of social services.
The accused did not enter a plea to the charge that he unlawfully and by force or fraud took or carried away the child against his will.
Magistrates sent the case to be dealt with a Chelmsford Crown Court.
The man’s lawyers indicated he would contest the charge. He was remanded in custody until July 13 when he is scheduled to appear at the crown court.
A second Romford man appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court last Saturday charged with assisting an offender in respect of the alleged offence.
- 1 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 2 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 3 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 4 NHS staff protest mandatory vaccinations outside Queen's Hospital
- 5 Aklu Plaza submits plans to convert third floor into banqueting suite
- 6 Romford's South Street reacts to BBC licence fee announcement
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 9 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 10 Rainham councillors publish 'plan B' for Beam Park transport links
He was remanded in custody until Wednesday May 27 when he will appear at Chelmsford Crown Court.
A woman from Guildford in Surrey has also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with this investigation bailed pending further enquiries.