Romford holidaymaker Shane Virmani may have been dragged into pool where he drowned

�The devastated family of a Romford man, who drowned in a swimming pool abroad, have uncovered CCTV footage showing he was apparently dragged into the water.

It was initially thought that Shane Virmani, 26, died after drunkenly entering the pool at his Greek hotel during a boozy early morning after-club party.

But harrowing images seen by the Recorder show Shane, who was unable to swim and had been sitting by the edge of the pool, was seemingly pulled into the water, just before 6am on August 6.

Dozens of revellers continued to party in and around the pool until his body was spotted by one of his friends some 25 minutes later.

Hotel staff tried, but failed, to resuscitate the Tesco worker, from Wilson Court, Union Road, who had been enjoying a lads' holiday in Malia, Crete.

An inquest held in Greece found Shane had consumed only a "limited quantity" of alcohol.

His distraught mum Melanie Virmani said: "When I heard what happened I knew something wasn't right.

Most Read

"My lawyer got hold of the CCTV footage from the Greek police and it is clear either [the police] didn't view the recording before they got statements from people or they didn't care because no-one was questioned further."

Only three people were interviewed - two voluntarily - under oath, despite around 40 people in and around the pool at the time of the tragedy.

"This feels like a bad dream," said mum-of three Melanie. "I know whoever's responsible will be going through hell, but I won't rest until I get justice.


"I know it was an accident but [those involved ] have to deal with the aftermath of that. I feel so angry about what's happened; that it could have been prevented."

During the summer the Recorder reported that Shane's family and friends raised thousands of pounds to fly his body home after the underwriter for his insurance company, AA, refused to pay repatriation costs.

But the company has since agreed to reimburse funds after viewing the footage.

The Greek authorities are deciding whether or not to bring a prosecution, although the case has been frustrated by recent strikes by justice workers.

Melanie, a teaching assistant from Ilford, added: "Shane had moved out of the family home to be more independent; he had a girlfriend; he was going to take a management course and he was about to sit his driving test.

"He had his whole life ahead of him and now he's gone.

"We are devastated."