Romford fraudster who conned dementia OAP ordered to pay back �22,000
A Romford fraudster who was part of a gang that fleeced a pensioner out of more than �500,000, has been ordered to pay back nearly �22,000 – or face a longer jail term.
Marcus Mackay, 44, of Highfield Links, is currently serving a five-year sentence for conspiracy to defraud Catherine Devas, 83, of Cambridge, by siphoning cash from her bank account.
He was back in Cambridge Crown Court last Monday (October 3), under the Proceeds of Crime Act, after an application was made to recover some of the money by seizing three vehicles he owned, believed to be worth �90,000.
He was ordered to pay back �21,800 within three months or face an extra 12 months in prison.
His mother Zandra Mackay, 62, from Cottenham, Cambridgeshire, formerly Mrs Devas’ carer, is also behind bars for seven years for her part in the fraud, and Deborah Atkinson, 49, the pensioner’s secretary, from Lidgate, is serving four and half years.
You may also want to watch:
Between them, the gang stole more than �502,000 between January 2003 and December 2006 from Mrs Devas, using her bank cards and cheques.
In a will that was later declared invalid, Mrs Devas, who died of dementia in 2006, left everything to Mackay’s son.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 3 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 4 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 7 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 8 Brentwood's unsung heroes helping the community during the pandemic
- 9 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 10 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
The gang used the money to make mortgage payments, carry out home improvements, pay off debts and enjoy a luxury trip to New York.