Romford fraudster who conned dementia OAP ordered to pay back �22,000
A Romford fraudster who was part of a gang that fleeced a pensioner out of more than �500,000, has been ordered to pay back nearly �22,000 – or face a longer jail term.
Marcus Mackay, 44, of Highfield Links, is currently serving a five-year sentence for conspiracy to defraud Catherine Devas, 83, of Cambridge, by siphoning cash from her bank account.
He was back in Cambridge Crown Court last Monday (October 3), under the Proceeds of Crime Act, after an application was made to recover some of the money by seizing three vehicles he owned, believed to be worth �90,000.
He was ordered to pay back �21,800 within three months or face an extra 12 months in prison.
His mother Zandra Mackay, 62, from Cottenham, Cambridgeshire, formerly Mrs Devas’ carer, is also behind bars for seven years for her part in the fraud, and Deborah Atkinson, 49, the pensioner’s secretary, from Lidgate, is serving four and half years.
You may also want to watch:
Between them, the gang stole more than �502,000 between January 2003 and December 2006 from Mrs Devas, using her bank cards and cheques.
In a will that was later declared invalid, Mrs Devas, who died of dementia in 2006, left everything to Mackay’s son.
- 1 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 2 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 3 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 4 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 5 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 Gidea Park events planner hopes to host summer community festival
- 9 Polling places review underway ahead of 2022 ward increase
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
The gang used the money to make mortgage payments, carry out home improvements, pay off debts and enjoy a luxury trip to New York.