Romford fraudster who conned dementia OAP ordered to pay back �22,000
A Romford fraudster who was part of a gang that fleeced a pensioner out of more than �500,000, has been ordered to pay back nearly �22,000 – or face a longer jail term.
Marcus Mackay, 44, of Highfield Links, is currently serving a five-year sentence for conspiracy to defraud Catherine Devas, 83, of Cambridge, by siphoning cash from her bank account.
He was back in Cambridge Crown Court last Monday (October 3), under the Proceeds of Crime Act, after an application was made to recover some of the money by seizing three vehicles he owned, believed to be worth �90,000.
He was ordered to pay back �21,800 within three months or face an extra 12 months in prison.
His mother Zandra Mackay, 62, from Cottenham, Cambridgeshire, formerly Mrs Devas’ carer, is also behind bars for seven years for her part in the fraud, and Deborah Atkinson, 49, the pensioner’s secretary, from Lidgate, is serving four and half years.
You may also want to watch:
Between them, the gang stole more than �502,000 between January 2003 and December 2006 from Mrs Devas, using her bank cards and cheques.
In a will that was later declared invalid, Mrs Devas, who died of dementia in 2006, left everything to Mackay’s son.
- 1 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 2 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 3 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 4 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 5 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 6 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 7 Sewage floods home of family with one-day-old newborn after heavy rain
- 8 Detectives appealing for witnesses to fatal collision near Upminster
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
The gang used the money to make mortgage payments, carry out home improvements, pay off debts and enjoy a luxury trip to New York.