Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- Credit: Google Maps
Two males allegedly attempted to rob a Rainham shop armed with a knife.
The Rainham Afro-Caribbean Food Store, in Upminster Road South, was the subject of the raid attempt today (September 23), according to Councillor Jeffrey Tucker, who owns a jewellery shop on the same road and witnessed the incident.
A spokesperson for the Met Police confirmed they were called just after 11am this morning to reports "of a disturbance" in the road.
They added: "At the scene two males had attempted to rob a commercial premises armed with a knife.
"One of the males was detained in the street by members of the public until police arrived.
"A 21-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of robbery.
"He was taken by London Ambulance Service to an east London hospital for treatment to a head injury, following which he will be taken into custody. There were no other reported injuries."
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson confirmed they were called to the same incident just after 11am today.
- 1 Four people taken to hospital after Romford town centre incident
- 2 East London police officer charged with rape
- 3 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 4 Mourners to host vigil in Harold Hill park for lost teenage boys
- 5 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 6 Romford location ‘encapsulates Britain’ in soon to premiere horror movie
- 7 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 8 Nurse pulls man from burning car after Romford crash
- 9 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 10 Covid-19 cases surge in Havering, latest figures reveal
They said: "We sent an ambulance crew, who treated two people at the scene and took them both to a hospital as a priority."
Police remain at the scene.
Anyone who witnessed this incident, but has not yet spoken with police, is urged to call 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting 2464/23SEP.
To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers_uk.org.