Rainham police officer facing trial over cyclist collision
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A police officer from Rainham is set to go on trial after his patrol car collided with a suspect fleeing on a bicycle.
Pc Eugene Acheampong is charged with causing serious injury by dangerous driving over the incident in Wood Green, north London, on August 3 last year.
The 28-year-old, wearing a black overcoat over a blue shirt and tie, pleaded not guilty to the charge at Southwark Crown Court on Wednesday, November 25.
Pc Acheampong was released on bail and told he will go on trial on August 9 next year.
Last month, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard Pc Acheampong had been called to reports of two suspects breaking into cars.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard that one man rode away on his bike and the marked police car driven by Pc Acheampong made contact before running over the bike and the suspect.
The court was told the man suffered injuries including a partially severed left ear, a broken front tooth and a 4in laceration to his face.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 6 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 7 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 8 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 9 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 10 Harold Wood primary school collaborates with West Ham on wellbeing garden project
The prosecution follows an investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct.