Rainham man who cooked bomb in oven has sentence reduced
- Credit: Archant
A loner who tried to kill himself with a home made shotgun and baked highly unstable explosives in his oven had his sentence cut by judges today.
Ian Shingler was jailed for six years at Basildon Crown Court after he admitted possessing explosive substances, a firearm, and ammunition in February this year.
He also admitted two counts of possessing indecent photos of children.
Shingler’s legal team noted his emotionally fragile personality, having become increasingly introverted in recent times. Psychological reports indicated he had a “hostile view of the world”.
Lawyers said the crucial aspect of his case was that he had only intended to harm himself.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb said she was troubled by the “relative ease” with which Shingler acquired his deadly products from the web. But she concluded that the six-year jail term was too severe, failing to reflect Shingler’s guilty pleas and background.
The judge, sitting with Lord Justice Davis and Sir Stephen Silber, substituted a sentence of four and a half years.
- 1 'Foul odour': Neighbours call for action over worsening sewage stench
- 2 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 3 Home owner ordered to pay £4,726 to remove overflowing rubbish
- 4 Patient gets £12k in out-of-court settlement with Romford dental practice
- 5 Pupils equipped for 'medical emergencies' after winning first aid classes
- 6 Heritage: Tragedy at the Upminster sewage works
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 People in hospital after Collier Row collision
- 9 Partner: Romford shooting verdict 'brushes police errors under the carpet'
- 10 Volunteer on using video skills to help hospice
FOR FULL STORY SEE FRIDAY’S RECORDER