Rainham man who cooked bomb in oven has sentence reduced
- Credit: Archant
A loner who tried to kill himself with a home made shotgun and baked highly unstable explosives in his oven had his sentence cut by judges today.
Ian Shingler was jailed for six years at Basildon Crown Court after he admitted possessing explosive substances, a firearm, and ammunition in February this year.
He also admitted two counts of possessing indecent photos of children.
Shingler’s legal team noted his emotionally fragile personality, having become increasingly introverted in recent times. Psychological reports indicated he had a “hostile view of the world”.
Lawyers said the crucial aspect of his case was that he had only intended to harm himself.
Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb said she was troubled by the “relative ease” with which Shingler acquired his deadly products from the web. But she concluded that the six-year jail term was too severe, failing to reflect Shingler’s guilty pleas and background.
The judge, sitting with Lord Justice Davis and Sir Stephen Silber, substituted a sentence of four and a half years.
- 1 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged or rejected in Havering
- 2 Fire crews free trapped driver after Hornchurch car crash
- 3 Woman 'slapped across face' in Brentwood restaurant
- 4 Romford accountant pleads guilty to 'calculated' £160k tax fraud
- 5 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel
- 6 Plans submitted for 35,000sqm of commercial floorspace in first phase of Rainham industrial estate redevelopment
- 7 Man dumps knife amid Hornchurch police chase
- 8 Confirmed: Rush Green Post Office set to move
- 9 Company dismisses 'unscrupulous individuals' reportedly caught flytipping in Rainham
- 10 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
FOR FULL STORY SEE FRIDAY’S RECORDER