Rainham man part of ‘international paedophile ring’
A shop assistant from Rainham is among eight people who appeared in court accused of being involved in an international paedophile ring.
The seven men and one woman face 122 charges, including rape, inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, and possession of child pornography.
The charges relate to three children under the age of 13, and are alleged to have taken place between 2008 and 2010.
The seven are:
John Maddox, 46, of Ellis Avenue, who is facing charges including aiding or abetting the rape of a child.
Robert Hathaway, 36, of Tyesley Road, Portsmouth, who is facing charges including rape, sexual assault and causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
Melissa Noon, 29, of Tyesley Road, Portsmouth, who is facing charges of sexual assault, causing a child to watch a sexual act and inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 3 'Crucial' consultation begins on proposed changes to Lower Thames Crossing project
- 4 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 5 Here are five top-rated delicious 'cheap eats' in Havering, according to Tripadvisor
- 6 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 8 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 9 'Irreversible stress': Nearly 2,000 oppose move to suspend Cranham and Upminster midwifery service
- 10 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
Lee Parson, 37, of Arundel Street, Portsmouth, faces eight charges involving indecent photos of children.
Simon Hilton, 28, of Wolsey Road, London, who is facing charges including assault by touching and inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.
Mark Day, 45, of Whitefriars Meadow, Sandwich, Kent, who is facing charges of facilitating a sexual offence and aiding or abetting the rape of a child.
Daniel Bell, 26, of St James Road, Emsworth, who is facing charges of distributing indecent images of children and aiding or abetting the rape of a child.
Stephen Fraser, 41, Hemingford Road, Cambridge, who is facing charges of making indecent images of children and engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child.
Judge Roger Hetherington adjourned the case for a plea and case management hearing on July 15.
A trial, expected to last eight weeks, is due to take place in September.
Maddox, Day and Bell were all released on conditional bail.
The other defendants were remanded in custody.
The other four were remanded in custody.