Rainham man caught with 10-inch knife in waistband spared jail
- Credit: Archant
A man who hid a 10-inch knife in his waistband after being caught speeding has been spared jail.
Jay Ojo, 25, of South Street, Rainham, was handed an eight week sentence suspended for 12 months at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
On Sunday he “appeared agitated” when talking to police after being stopped on the Southend Arterial Road for speeding.
Officers found a 10-inch folding knife in his waistband when he was searched and he was charged with possession of an offensive weapon.
He pleaded guilty the following day.
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Charlie Routley of Havering Police said: “Anyone who feels that it is ok to carry a knife should be aware it is a criminal offence and they will be arrested and brought before the courts. We will not tolerate knife carrying in Havering.”
Ojo was also fined £180 and a further £165 costs.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 3 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 4 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 5 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 6 Christmas Day babies to spend their first few weeks in lockdown
- 7 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 8 DAB radios donated to Queen's Hospital for those too weak to hold a phone
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions