Rainham man caught with 10-inch knife in waistband spared jail
- Credit: Archant
A man who hid a 10-inch knife in his waistband after being caught speeding has been spared jail.
Jay Ojo, 25, of South Street, Rainham, was handed an eight week sentence suspended for 12 months at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
On Sunday he “appeared agitated” when talking to police after being stopped on the Southend Arterial Road for speeding.
Officers found a 10-inch folding knife in his waistband when he was searched and he was charged with possession of an offensive weapon.
He pleaded guilty the following day.
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Charlie Routley of Havering Police said: “Anyone who feels that it is ok to carry a knife should be aware it is a criminal offence and they will be arrested and brought before the courts. We will not tolerate knife carrying in Havering.”
Ojo was also fined £180 and a further £165 costs.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 3 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 4 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 7 Brentwood's unsung heroes helping the community during the pandemic
- 8 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 9 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 10 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months