Rainham man caught with 10-inch knife in waistband spared jail
- Credit: Archant
A man who hid a 10-inch knife in his waistband after being caught speeding has been spared jail.
Jay Ojo, 25, of South Street, Rainham, was handed an eight week sentence suspended for 12 months at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
On Sunday he “appeared agitated” when talking to police after being stopped on the Southend Arterial Road for speeding.
Officers found a 10-inch folding knife in his waistband when he was searched and he was charged with possession of an offensive weapon.
He pleaded guilty the following day.
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Charlie Routley of Havering Police said: “Anyone who feels that it is ok to carry a knife should be aware it is a criminal offence and they will be arrested and brought before the courts. We will not tolerate knife carrying in Havering.”
Ojo was also fined £180 and a further £165 costs.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 2 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 3 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 4 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 5 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 6 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 7 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 8 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 9 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
- 10 'Unexplained' Collier Row death 'not believed to be suspicious'