Rainham man among five jailed for £70,000 smash and grab
- Credit: Met
Five men have been sentenced to more than 26 years in prison after being convicted of a smash and grab raid which netted them more than £70,000 of designer handbags, belts and purses.
Michael Lewis, 28, of Upminster Road South, Rainham, was jailed for six years for conspiracy to commit burglary at Blackfriars Crown Court yesterday.
Lewis and four others raided the Louis Vuitton store in Sloane Street, west London, in June last year.
The gang used two cars and three scooters to break through the door of the high end fashion shop and snatch a number of items from inside.
They were arrested in Islington shortly afterwards by the Met’s flying squad who recovered the goods.
Det Ch Insp Steve Ellen said: “This audacious theft was shocking to both staff at the store and passing motorists.
“Thanks to the flying squad the gang were quickly identified and arrested and an amount of goods recovered.”
- 1 Proposal to bulldoze Romford shops to make way for 15 homes
- 2 'A social club for the community': 90-year-old Hornchurch snooker hall to close after 'losing battle' over lease
- 3 Bid to turn Harold Wood motor shop into three-bedroom home refused by council
- 4 Plans for new Gidea Park fries and chicken takeaway rejected
- 5 Man on trial for Brentwood double murder was in 'flight mode', court hears
- 6 'I hadn’t done anything wrong’: Romford man wins five-month fight over parking fine
- 7 MP Julia Lopez announces resignation as minister and calls for PM to 'step aside'
- 8 Coroner: Romford man's death followed 'unacceptable failure' in care
- 9 Romford pair to 'bring a little bit of raving' to 'more mature' Hornchurch community
- 10 Man arrested after allegedly begging while armed with hammer
David Kelly, 30, of Moray Road, Finsbury Park, was sentenced to seven years in prison and his brother, David Kelly, 21, also of Moray Road, was sentenced to three years and six months.
Daryl Salisbury, 25, of Kelvin Road, Highbury, was given six years in prison and Kavosh Jalali, 24, of Crescent Way, North Finchley, was jailed for a total of four years.