Rainham man among five jailed for £70,000 smash and grab
- Credit: Met
Five men have been sentenced to more than 26 years in prison after being convicted of a smash and grab raid which netted them more than £70,000 of designer handbags, belts and purses.
Michael Lewis, 28, of Upminster Road South, Rainham, was jailed for six years for conspiracy to commit burglary at Blackfriars Crown Court yesterday.
Lewis and four others raided the Louis Vuitton store in Sloane Street, west London, in June last year.
The gang used two cars and three scooters to break through the door of the high end fashion shop and snatch a number of items from inside.
They were arrested in Islington shortly afterwards by the Met’s flying squad who recovered the goods.
Det Ch Insp Steve Ellen said: “This audacious theft was shocking to both staff at the store and passing motorists.
“Thanks to the flying squad the gang were quickly identified and arrested and an amount of goods recovered.”
- 1 Farming family to be evicted from Upminster land they worked for a century
- 2 ‘If it’s happening, it’s a concern’: Hornchurch's surprise at claims Havering is at risk of far-right activity
- 3 'Everybody wanted to be in his company': Tributes paid to popular Romford postman
- 4 Man found dead following 'group disturbance' in Rainham
- 5 Murder investigation launched after man found dead in Rainham
- 6 Romford shopping centre to host more than 50 events in run up to Christmas
- 7 Hornchurch man sentenced for child exploitation and animal porn
- 8 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 9 'I feel ignored': Mum of three speaks out about bid to escape cramped housing
- 10 School submits plans to demolish sports hall and build multi-million pound replacement
David Kelly, 30, of Moray Road, Finsbury Park, was sentenced to seven years in prison and his brother, David Kelly, 21, also of Moray Road, was sentenced to three years and six months.
Daryl Salisbury, 25, of Kelvin Road, Highbury, was given six years in prison and Kavosh Jalali, 24, of Crescent Way, North Finchley, was jailed for a total of four years.