Pregnant women to be asked to show ID at hospital appointments in new Queen’s Hospital trial scheme
- Credit: Archant
From today, pregnant women will be asked to provide two forms of identification when they attend Queen’s Hospital’s maternity care department.
Under a pilot scheme backed by the Department of Health, mums-to-be visiting the hospital in Rom Valley Way, Romford, will be asked to provide a photo ID and proof of address at their first appointment.
The pilot is looking at how best to establish whether or not people are eligible for free NHS care, as people who do not usually live in the UK are not eligible for free care on the NHS, and must pay for their treatment.
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust insists the care being given to pregnant women will not change at all, and that the ID check will simply be an additional process during the first appointment.
It also makes it clear that maternity care will never be refused for any patient, regardless of their status.
You may also want to watch:
The hospital trust’s chief nurse, Kathryn Halford, said: “This pilot will have no impact on patient care and I’d like to reassure women that if they have any concerns about whether they have the right form of ID, or whether they forget it on the day, their appointment will of course go ahead as planned.
“We know that the NHS generally is under real financial pressure, so it is important that where we can, we do our best to support it.”
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Application for ramp to help man with cerebral palsy is rejected
- 6 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 8 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 9 Bekash restaurant ranked best curry house in Havering on Tripadviser
- 10 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
Any patients with concerns can call 01708 435 165.