Police warn Brentwood residents after latest distraction burglary
- Credit: Archant
Police in Brentwood are warning residents to be wary of people knocking on their doors and offering building or garden work following a spate of distraction burglaries.
The warning follows the latest incident where a retired woman had a four-figure sum stolen from her property.
Two men knocked on the door of a house in Cedar Road, Hutton, at around 1pm last Friday and said they were there to fix the roof.
The victim paid them £300 for the work to be completed but she was deliberately distracted and they stole a sum of cash from her handbag and left the premises.
Det Con Patrick Snape of Brentwood CID is urging for anyone to come forward who may have seen a white van and the two men both described as white by the victim.
She did not get a good look at one man but the other she described as having blonde hair and was of average height.
Det Con Snape said: “There have been three other distraction burglary offences in different parts of Brentwood in the last month and I urge the public to be cautious about who they let inside their home.”
- 1 Romford pair to 'bring a little bit of raving' to 'more mature' Hornchurch community
- 2 Watch: Brawl erupts on Heath Park street outside pub
- 3 Man, 52, found with head injuries in Hornchurch
- 4 'The smell is foul': Brigade called to more than 70 fires at Rainham site since 2018
- 5 Bid to turn Harold Wood motor shop into three-bedroom home refused by council
- 6 Application to open Papa John's takeaway in Hornchurch
- 7 Unvaccinated patients may need to take Covid tests for hospital appointments as cases rise
- 8 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 9 Teen taken to hospital as 'priority' after being stabbed in Rainham