Police to increase patrols in Romford after teenager allegedly seen with knife
- Credit: Archant
Police are to increase patrols in Romford town centre after a teenager was arrested on suspicion of brandishing a knife in The Brewery.
On Sunday (April 30) at around 8pm police received reports of an 18-year-old man armed with a knife in McDonald’s in the shopping centre.
Officers from the town centre responded within minutes and the man ran away.
He allegedly dropped a large hunting knife as he tried to get away from officers but he was later detained . A knife was recovered from the scene.
The teenager was arrested on suspicion of possession of a knife in a public place and has now been charged with affray and threatening a person with a blade in a public place.
You may also want to watch:
He was sent to Barkingside Magistrates Court where he has been remanded in custody and will appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Wednesday, May 30.
A spokesman from East Area Command said: “Since this incident we have reviewed our policing plans for coming weeks.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 3 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 4 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 5 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 8 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 9 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
- 10 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
“We are aware of the alarm this incident caused at the time, and the ongoing concerns about violent crime in the town centre.
“We are listening to these and responding by putting additional officer on duty in Romford town centre at our busiest times.
“The community will see additional uniformed presence in the town centre in coming weeks, and we remain committed to maintaining the safety of those who live and work in and around Romford.”