Police set up shop in The Liberty, Romford
- Credit: Archant
A shopping centre now boasts a pop-up police shop after a trial run saw an “overwhelming response” from customers.
Romford’s Neighbourhood Policing Team (NPT) first used The Liberty as a community hub during the centre’s Learning Week - educating shoppers on crime prevention and giving out safety devices.
And the customers liked it so much, the officers decided to stick around.
Jonathan Poole, centre manager commented: “When we invited Romford’s local NPT into centre we did not expect such an overwhelming and positive response.
“We really believe that the work our NPT carry out is invaluable and that’s why we are welcoming them into centre and purchasing extra anti-theft gadgets to provide our shoppers with.”
You may also want to watch:
Gadgets including chains, timer switches and window alarms are available on a first come first serve basis.
The shop will be open Monday to Saturday 11am-2pm with opening times varying on a weekly basis.
- 1 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
- 2 Letters: Social distancing, vaccination experience and how to stop catalytic converter thefts
- 3 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 4 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 5 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 6 'It was surreal': Hornchurch personal trainer wins £10k with family on TV gameshow
- 7 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 8 Brentwood Tudor church damaged in illegal New Year's Eve party raises nearly £20,000 for repairs
- 9 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge
- 10 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
Ch Insp Russell Taylor said: “This is absolutely what we need to ensure that we touch base with as many of the community as possible over the festive period.”
There will also be specialist agencies attending to answer any questions on their field of expertise.
Dates, times and events will be published on theliberty.co.uk