Police set up shop in The Liberty, Romford
- Credit: Archant
A shopping centre now boasts a pop-up police shop after a trial run saw an “overwhelming response” from customers.
Romford’s Neighbourhood Policing Team (NPT) first used The Liberty as a community hub during the centre’s Learning Week - educating shoppers on crime prevention and giving out safety devices.
And the customers liked it so much, the officers decided to stick around.
Jonathan Poole, centre manager commented: “When we invited Romford’s local NPT into centre we did not expect such an overwhelming and positive response.
“We really believe that the work our NPT carry out is invaluable and that’s why we are welcoming them into centre and purchasing extra anti-theft gadgets to provide our shoppers with.”
Gadgets including chains, timer switches and window alarms are available on a first come first serve basis.
The shop will be open Monday to Saturday 11am-2pm with opening times varying on a weekly basis.
- 1 Primark confirms 'incident' involving baby in Romford store
- 2 Man murdered two armed teenage boys who had been chasing him, court told
- 3 Romford sexual abuse victim feels 'truly alone' after paedophile given suspended sentence
- 4 Plans submitted for 'new housing development' in Hornchurch
- 5 Application to build eight five-bed chalet bungalows in Havering-atte-Bower
- 6 Free giveaway: Bereaved Hornchurch man to distribute new invention created while wife was terminally ill
- 7 Roads reopen and residents return home after A127 Upminster crash into gas main
- 8 'Increased demand' to blame for overflowing Hornchurch bins, supermarket says
- 9 Previous 15% pay cut overridden for some top Havering politicians in restructure
- 10 Fire which destroys Rainham flat 'caused by laptop'
Ch Insp Russell Taylor said: “This is absolutely what we need to ensure that we touch base with as many of the community as possible over the festive period.”
There will also be specialist agencies attending to answer any questions on their field of expertise.
Dates, times and events will be published on theliberty.co.uk