Police officer knocked off motorbike at Ferry Lane roundabout
- Credit: Archant
A police officer on a motorbike was struck by a car he tried to stop yesterday.
A speeding BMW was flagged down on the A13 near Aveley by the officer before he led the driver down a slip road at the Ferry Lane roundabout in Rainham.
The car then hit the motorbike, causing the policeman to crash to ground on the roundabout into the path of another vehicle which braked hard to avoid him.
The flagged BMW driver then drove off and crashed into a wall near the roundabout, before leaving the car and running away from the scene.
A Metropolitan Police dog unit and helicopter helped track down the man before he was arrested.
You may also want to watch:
A knife was also recovered.
An 18-year-old man from Grays was arrested on suspicion of attempted GBH with intent, dangerous driving, theft of a vehicle and possessing an offensive weapon.
- 1 Letters: Breaking bad news, boundary changes, lockdown and parking
- 2 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 3 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 4 Romford cancer patient describes impact of Covid pandemic on mental health
- 5 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 6 Havering Council looking for residents to become Covid marshals
- 7 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 8 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
The officer was taken to a hospital where he was treated for minor injuries.
Police are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information about the collision or the BMW to come forward.
Call Essex Police on 101 or email email@example.com