Police officer knocked off motorbike at Ferry Lane roundabout
- Credit: Archant
A police officer on a motorbike was struck by a car he tried to stop yesterday.
A speeding BMW was flagged down on the A13 near Aveley by the officer before he led the driver down a slip road at the Ferry Lane roundabout in Rainham.
The car then hit the motorbike, causing the policeman to crash to ground on the roundabout into the path of another vehicle which braked hard to avoid him.
The flagged BMW driver then drove off and crashed into a wall near the roundabout, before leaving the car and running away from the scene.
A Metropolitan Police dog unit and helicopter helped track down the man before he was arrested.
A knife was also recovered.
An 18-year-old man from Grays was arrested on suspicion of attempted GBH with intent, dangerous driving, theft of a vehicle and possessing an offensive weapon.
- 1 Romford pair to 'bring a little bit of raving' to 'more mature' Hornchurch community
- 2 Watch: Brawl erupts on Heath Park street outside pub
- 3 Man, 52, found with head injuries in Hornchurch
- 4 Teen taken to hospital as 'priority' after being stabbed in Rainham
- 5 Unvaccinated patients may need to take Covid tests for hospital appointments as cases rise
- 6 'Absolutely disgusting': 'Design defect' blamed for Harold Wood fountain repeatedly breaking
- 7 Romford theatre company celebrates 60 years with Shakespeare park performance
- 8 Green light for four-storey residential-commercial buildings to replace old NatWest and Beresfords in Upminster
- 9 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 10 Application to open Papa John's takeaway in Hornchurch
The officer was taken to a hospital where he was treated for minor injuries.
Police are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information about the collision or the BMW to come forward.
Call Essex Police on 101 or email email@example.com