Police officer knocked off motorbike at Ferry Lane roundabout
- Credit: Archant
A police officer on a motorbike was struck by a car he tried to stop yesterday.
A speeding BMW was flagged down on the A13 near Aveley by the officer before he led the driver down a slip road at the Ferry Lane roundabout in Rainham.
The car then hit the motorbike, causing the policeman to crash to ground on the roundabout into the path of another vehicle which braked hard to avoid him.
The flagged BMW driver then drove off and crashed into a wall near the roundabout, before leaving the car and running away from the scene.
A Metropolitan Police dog unit and helicopter helped track down the man before he was arrested.
You may also want to watch:
A knife was also recovered.
An 18-year-old man from Grays was arrested on suspicion of attempted GBH with intent, dangerous driving, theft of a vehicle and possessing an offensive weapon.
- 1 Bekash restaurant ranked best curry house in Havering on Tripadviser
- 2 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 3 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 4 Shopkeepers and customers celebrate as Romford high streets reopen
- 5 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 6 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 7 Neighbour’s fury as mountain of rubbish piles up outside cottage
- 8 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 10 Could you be former Brentwood man's long lost relative?
The officer was taken to a hospital where he was treated for minor injuries.
Police are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information about the collision or the BMW to come forward.
Call Essex Police on 101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org