Police issue warning to parents after ‘killer clown’ Instagram account threatens to raid schools in Havering
- Credit: Instagram
Sinister threats of “killer clowns” descending on schools in the borough have terrified parents of schoolchildren.
An Instagram account posted a scary picture with the post claiming 20 clowns will visit a school with knives.
The Clowns_r_coming_to_essex account which was started over the weekend has targeted numerous schools across Havering.
It said the clowns would visit Bower Park Academy, Romford, Sanders School and Emerson Park Academy in Hornchurch and Havering College in Ardleigh Green.
Marshalls Park School in Gidea Park had been threatened with a visit by clowns yesterday but there have been no reports of sightings.
You may also want to watch:
The account, which is now private, has gained more than 6,000 followers in just a few days.
The craze has been inspired by clown-related pranks in America, with copycat pranksters in the UK popping up across the country in the last week.
- 1 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 2 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 3 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 4 Neighbour’s fury as resident ‘advertises his cottage as illegal tip’
- 5 Heritage: Mystery of the moated mound on Romford Hill
- 6 Plans submitted for Rainham Lidl
- 7 Police unit for 'high-harm' crimes tackles hike in domestic incidents
- 8 Four weeks' free parking for Havering shoppers as high streets reopen
- 9 Romford mum's success setting up children's clothing business amid pandemic
- 10 Covid-19: What's opening and what can you do on April 12?
Police in Havering have now warned parents about the threat and urged them to be vigilant.
Borough commander Jason Gwillim said: “Our advice I imagine would be for parents to ensure they are monitoring what their children are watching on social media, use the necessary safeguards on those platforms to prevent them from engaging with or viewing unsuitable media.
“Lastly, clearly anyone who intends to engage with such clowns with the intent of causing harm is straying into the world of committing crimes such as assault etc.
“We advise parents to know where their children are, stay together in groups, have a phone ready to call police if need be.
A spokeswoman for Marshalls Park School said: “The school is aware of this clown phenomenon that is sweeping the nation at the moment.
“We have been made aware of posts on social media.”