Police issue warning to parents after ‘killer clown’ Instagram account threatens to raid schools in Havering
- Credit: Instagram
Sinister threats of “killer clowns” descending on schools in the borough have terrified parents of schoolchildren.
An Instagram account posted a scary picture with the post claiming 20 clowns will visit a school with knives.
The Clowns_r_coming_to_essex account which was started over the weekend has targeted numerous schools across Havering.
It said the clowns would visit Bower Park Academy, Romford, Sanders School and Emerson Park Academy in Hornchurch and Havering College in Ardleigh Green.
Marshalls Park School in Gidea Park had been threatened with a visit by clowns yesterday but there have been no reports of sightings.
The account, which is now private, has gained more than 6,000 followers in just a few days.
The craze has been inspired by clown-related pranks in America, with copycat pranksters in the UK popping up across the country in the last week.
- 1 Man in critical condition after 'deliberate' hit and run in Hornchurch
- 2 Council to inspect 'dangerous' space outside Upminster homes
- 3 3 Romford arrests in modern slavery, cannabis and money laundering probe
- 4 Owner calls support for new Gidea Park pizzeria 'overwhelming'
- 5 Councillor leaves HRA group on council over Labour agreement
- 6 ‘Lawless’: Further issues raised with state and maintenance of Romford car park
- 7 Teen found guilty of robbing boy, 12, in Romford while carrying knife
- 8 Hundreds oppose Harold Wood scheme to stop cars driving around schools at peak times
- 9 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 10 Permission granted for streetlights along footpath to hospital
Police in Havering have now warned parents about the threat and urged them to be vigilant.
Borough commander Jason Gwillim said: “Our advice I imagine would be for parents to ensure they are monitoring what their children are watching on social media, use the necessary safeguards on those platforms to prevent them from engaging with or viewing unsuitable media.
“Lastly, clearly anyone who intends to engage with such clowns with the intent of causing harm is straying into the world of committing crimes such as assault etc.
“We advise parents to know where their children are, stay together in groups, have a phone ready to call police if need be.
A spokeswoman for Marshalls Park School said: “The school is aware of this clown phenomenon that is sweeping the nation at the moment.
“We have been made aware of posts on social media.”