Plumber jailed after stealing gold Samsung Galaxy in Romford
- Credit: Archant
A plumber has been jailed after stealing a smart phone from a pawnbrokers last week.
Lee Gray, 31, of Kidman Close, Gidea Park, ran off with a Samsung Galaxy phone worth about £330 after asking a sales assistant if he could hold the gold coloured handset, a court heard.
Gray, who appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday, wanted to see if a SIM card would fit in the phone before he rushed out of Cash Concepts in High Street, Romford, on Thursday.
Security guards “bear-hugged” Gray to the ground after he ran out of the shop with the phone after telling the sales assistant “what the f*** are you going to do about it”.
Gray, who appeared in court wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt, managed to get away but was later apprehended by police.
You may also want to watch:
The defendant, who had his arms crossed in court and wore his hair slicked back, activated a suspended sentence following an altercation with security guards at a McDonald’s restaurant in central London last year.
Judge Susan Holdham sentenced Gray to a total of 16 weeks in jail and issued a victim surcharge of £80.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 6 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 7 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 8 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 9 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 10 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says