Plumber jailed after stealing gold Samsung Galaxy in Romford
- Credit: Archant
A plumber has been jailed after stealing a smart phone from a pawnbrokers last week.
Lee Gray, 31, of Kidman Close, Gidea Park, ran off with a Samsung Galaxy phone worth about £330 after asking a sales assistant if he could hold the gold coloured handset, a court heard.
Gray, who appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday, wanted to see if a SIM card would fit in the phone before he rushed out of Cash Concepts in High Street, Romford, on Thursday.
Security guards “bear-hugged” Gray to the ground after he ran out of the shop with the phone after telling the sales assistant “what the f*** are you going to do about it”.
Gray, who appeared in court wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt, managed to get away but was later apprehended by police.
You may also want to watch:
The defendant, who had his arms crossed in court and wore his hair slicked back, activated a suspended sentence following an altercation with security guards at a McDonald’s restaurant in central London last year.
Judge Susan Holdham sentenced Gray to a total of 16 weeks in jail and issued a victim surcharge of £80.
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 6 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 8 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 9 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 10 Neighbour’s fury as mountain of rubbish piles up outside cottage