Plumber jailed after stealing gold Samsung Galaxy in Romford
- Credit: Archant
A plumber has been jailed after stealing a smart phone from a pawnbrokers last week.
Lee Gray, 31, of Kidman Close, Gidea Park, ran off with a Samsung Galaxy phone worth about £330 after asking a sales assistant if he could hold the gold coloured handset, a court heard.
Gray, who appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday, wanted to see if a SIM card would fit in the phone before he rushed out of Cash Concepts in High Street, Romford, on Thursday.
Security guards “bear-hugged” Gray to the ground after he ran out of the shop with the phone after telling the sales assistant “what the f*** are you going to do about it”.
Gray, who appeared in court wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt, managed to get away but was later apprehended by police.
You may also want to watch:
The defendant, who had his arms crossed in court and wore his hair slicked back, activated a suspended sentence following an altercation with security guards at a McDonald’s restaurant in central London last year.
Judge Susan Holdham sentenced Gray to a total of 16 weeks in jail and issued a victim surcharge of £80.
- 1 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 4 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 5 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 6 Captain Sam Roberts bids farewell and thanks Romford Junior Raiders
- 7 Men fined following New Year's Eve rave in Brentwood
- 8 'My girls aren't sleeping': Harold Hill family searching for Pog the dog
- 9 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford